Monday, February 5, 2024

Let's Bust a Recap : Tom Lake

Tom Lake is a brand new release from seasoned author Ann Patchett. It just came out this past August, and it's going to be a tricky one for me to review so let me go ahead and issue a spoiler warning right here and now, because my opinion of this novel turned on one point towards the end of the book, and there's no way for me to write this review without discussing that one sticking point. 

So first of all, one of my longest and truest friends chose this book for our book club after she listened to the audiobook version narrated by Meryl Streep and loved it. I fully expected to love it too, and I did. Until I didn't. And then I really didn't. 

But before I get too far ahead of myself: Tom Lake is set during the spring of 2020, and our main character Lara's three grown daughters have all returned home to their cherry farm in Michigan in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown. As mother and daughters work on harvesting the cherries together, her girls coax her to tell them the story of her summer romance with famous actor Peter Duke when she was in a summer stock production of Thornton Wilder's Our Town at Tom Lake. The entire novel pivots back and forth between Lara's young life and the present day as she relates it to her daughters while they work. 

Here's the thing: I loved Lara telling this story to her daughters. I was living for every scene where the four of them were together. I was in stitches every time one of the girls tried to correct their mother about her own life story. I teared up at Lara's tenderness with them as they tried to make sense of this hard world we live in. As for Lara's story: meh. I could take it or leave it. She made a lot of terrible choices, but we all do. While I didn't agree with the worldview any of the characters seemed to hold, I could enjoy the story because I don't have to agree with everyone else's worldviews or have them agree with mine. 

But then, in a twenty-one chapter book, we came to chapter twenty and the entire novel was completely ruined for me. In this particular chapter, Lara has finished telling her story to her daughters, but she privately reminisces on one other event in her life that she has never shared with anyone—not even her husband—and never intends to share with anyone. Except for us, the unfortunate readers. While the entire chapter was extremely off-putting and—there's really no other way to say it—disgusting, I could have forgiven its inclusion in the book had it not culminated in Lara having an abortion. When I got to this chapter and it ended with this tiny paragraph that all seemed so out of place in this story, I felt duped. I felt like the entire purpose of Tom Lake was for the author to respond to the overturning of Roe v. Wade in the U.S. and I had just read this entire novel to get slapped with the author's political agenda. 

And I was not happy about it. I will say that it led to some really great discussion in our book club, but I cannot recommend this book to anyone unless you're the type of person who can actually skip a chapter of a book with no curiosity. (And if that's you: how?) I realize I just said in this very review that we don't all have to agree on everything, and I stand by that, but for me personally, abortion without any thoughtful exploration or commentary is an absolute dealbreaker and it soured me on Tom Lake and Ann Patchett which is triply unfortunate as I own two of her other books that I haven't gotten around to reading yet. (Bel Canto and The Dutch House, for any interested parties.) I may still read those one day, but if I do I'll go in with a certain amount of wariness I wouldn't have had before reading Tom Lake.  

All said, Tom Lake was a miss for me, and I can't forgive Ann Patchett for chapter twenty. 

Do you have any absolute dealbreakers that will ruin a book for you? 

4 comments:

  1. Girl, that is a GREAT question. And I’ll have to think on my answer. I probably have more than one deal-breaker tbh. And when you say “deal-breaker,” you mean parts of a book that will turn me off to the whole book or not want to read another book by the author?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, pretty much. One of my other dealbreakers is child abuse, especially sexual child abuse. It makes me actually physically sick and will completely ruin an otherwise great book for me.

      Delete
  2. very interesting, since I knew you were excited about this one. dealbreakers for me are tough--I can usually find some kind of redemptive quality in just about anything. it's more about form/technique/expertise as opposed to content, I suppose. the actual telling of the story itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see that. You definitely have a wider tolerance than me in consuming media. I try to avoid anything sexually graphic in general whether I'm reading or watching, but dealbreakers for me include child abuse even when it's not graphic. I've never been able to re-read A Time to Kill for that reason even though I think it's a great book.

      Delete