Monday, January 29, 2024

Let's Bust a Recap : The Wingfeather Saga

So at the beginning of the month, I gave a little series update detailing books in series I'm reading that can stand alone. But today, we're going to talk about the other kind, the kind you can't stop reading until you get to the end. Cody and I read this quartet of books aloud together last year, and we both give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up. 

The Wingfeather Saga by singer-songwriter Andrew Peterson consists of four books: On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness published in 2008, North! Or Be Eaten published in 2009, The Monster in the Hollows published in 2011, and The Warden and the Wolf King published in 2014. The books chronicle the adventures and transformations of the Igiby family in the fantasy world of Aerwiar as they discover secrets of their family history, flee the evil Fangs of Dang who are occupying their country, seek their place and identity in the world, and make a stand against the mysterious ruler Gnag the Nameless. The principal characters are the three Igiby siblings—Janner, Tink, and Leeli—but the series is peppered with other lovable personalities like Podo Helmer, Peet the Sock-Man, Sara Cobbler, the Florid Sword, Maraly Weaver, and Oskar N. Reteep to name a few. 

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, the first book in the series, starts off very whimsical and playful, introducing the world of Aerwiar and the Igiby family with lots of footnotes giving you quite a bit of history. (And don't miss those footnotes throughout all four books—they're a riot!) As the books progress and Peterson narrows in on the crux of the plot, however, each book matures until, by the end, I would classify this story as a new All-Time Favorite. I loved discovering this beautiful story along with Cody, and it is one I will come back to. 

We had several friends continue to recommend this series to us, until one of them finally just bought them for us (thanks Greg!) which was the final nudge we needed to actually pick them up and start reading. The Wingfeather Saga has been compared to The Chronicles of Narnia which, I'll be honest, was a bit off-putting to me. In my opinion, The Chronicles of Narnia are in a class of their own and my friends were not doing Wingfeather any favors in my eyes by trying to put them in that class. To be entirely transparent with you: I still think Narnia is in its own class, but I would put Wingfeather in the same class with The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Fantastic in every sense of the word. 

For the sake of my friend Sheree over at Keeping Up With the Penguins, I do just have to warn you that there is a devastating dog death in this series, and Cody and I majorly stalled when we hit it. When I tell you I bawled my eyes out and berated every friend that had recommended Wingfeather to me, I tell you the truth. But ultimately, The Wingfeather Saga proved its worth, and my dad is reading the first book now on my wholehearted recommendation. 

All the stars for Andrew Peterson and his magnificent Wingfeather Saga. We loved it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that’s some high praise! I definitely have this series on my list to read in the future, but it might not happen this year. I guess we’ll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. high praise indeed, consider my interest piqued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also being adapted into an animated television series by Angel Studios. The first season is already available and the second season is supposed to be released in the spring. I'm on the fence about watching it.

      Delete