Monday, August 7, 2023

Let's Bust a Recap : It's Not Supposed To Be This Way

All right, here it is: I did not like this book and I did not find it helpful. I want to start out, right off the bat, by saying that my criticisms of this book are in no way meant to minimize or poke fun at the truly difficult and heartbreaking things that Lysa TerKeurst has experienced in her life. She's had an incredibly hard marriage (which ended in divorce recently) and she's encountered life-threatening health issues, all of which I'm sure were awful and scary to live through. 

Having given you that disclaimer, let's get into it. Lysa TerKeurst is the president of something called Proverbs 31 Ministries, and she's the New York Times best-selling author of a whole passel of Christian non-fiction books geared toward women. Her most well-known book is probably Uninvited, but It's Not Supposed To Be This Way (published in 2018) is the first book of hers I've read. Subtitled "Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered", It's Not Supposed To Be This Way claims to offer advice for readers suffering from disappointment and disillusionment, counseling them to see disappointments as opportunities to encounter God, and advising them of better ways to process unmet expectations. 

So the premise is good, right? Even the title—It's Not Supposed To Be This Way—is right on the nose. God did not create a fallen world; He created a perfect one. We all have to deal with the fallout of a sin-infected world and that means being disappointed and having our expectations crushed. 

But how was the execution? Here's where I take issue. First of all, this is one of those Christian self-helpy kind of books that's all, "Hey sister, I know right where you're at and I'm right there with you and let's get through it together" like we're drinking a cup of coffee at our favorite spot together. And to be totally transparent: that style is just not my cup of tea. I think there's a time and a place for books written in a more conversational tone but dealing with literally the hardest issues in life is not that time or place for me as a reader. There's nothing glaringly wrong with anything that TerKeurst says in this book, but it comes across incredibly clichéd. Like all the rhyme-y platitudes you can possibly think of are tossed around with abandon. But my biggest beef with It's Not Supposed To Be This Way is how laughably out of touch TerKeurst came across to me. If I was coming to this book in the direct aftermath of finding out about spousal infidelity or a devastating cancer diagnosis, I'm pretty sure the last thing I'd want to read about is Lysa overcoming her fear of wearing a two-piece swimsuit or how overwhelming it was for her to paint on a blank canvas. And yet that's what I found myself reading about. The best parts were the direct quotes from Scripture, but—and let me be clear on this—not her applications which were far too "me-focused" to be particularly helpful. 

Ultimately very shallow, not edifying to me personally, and pretty self-absorbed to boot. For those reasons: I'm out. Would not recommend, would not read again and I won't be picking up any more books by Lysa TerKeurst. 

14 comments:

  1. “For those reasons: I'm out.” Love it.
    Also I love being the first person to see a post.
    Also this type of “self help” really irritates me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! My Shark Tank evaluation of It's Not Supposed To Be This Way.
      And look at you commenting on a post the same day I post it!
      And thank you. I try not to be too harsh, but this is my honest take on it.

      Delete
  2. I get what you mean. I tried to read one of her books but couldn’t make it through. I think that there’s the thinking in the Evangelical Industrial Complex that believes that if a devotional is catered to women, it has to infantilize the theology and the issues. Like you said that whole “coffee talk/self help” genre. It’s not what I personally want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. Infantilizing theology when it's for women really grates me. I don't want to read this watered down/sugared up version of truth that seems to be so common among women's evangelical publishing these days. There's such a stark contrast between books like this and Elisabeth Elliot's work. Where did we go wrong? I could rant about this for a while. 🤣

      Delete
    2. Exactly, there’s a depth of authenticity to Elisabeth Elliot’s work due to how sincere she is about her struggles and how God was who she relied on. I think that it’s partly because she was willing to be vulnerable about what she thought and felt and how God worked in her life that her works have endured.

      Delete
  3. Good on you, Hannah! It can be so tough to review memoir/personal non-fiction when the author has been through something so difficult, so big cheers and whoops from me for an honest review of (it sounds like) a below-average read 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheree! I hate wasting my precious reading time on books that don't live up, especially non-fiction.

      Delete
  4. yikes. didn't know about this author, don't need to know about this author. no thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're definitely not her target demographic. 🤣

      Delete
  5. I hate to be the lone disagree-er, but I actually really love her books. I’ve listened to one of her most recent books, “Good Boundaries and Good-Byes” on audiobook with her as the narrator, and I love how genuine and sincere she sounds. As a woman who’s gone through infidelity and divorce, I really related to everything she was talking about. I can understand that she might not be some people’s cup of tea, but I feel like she’s herself when she writes, and I’ve never felt like she’s writing just to garner interest; I feel like it’s truly been to help others walking the same road she’s walking. I also love that she gives lots of Scripture at the end of her chapters, because it doesn’t feel like she’s just giving her opinion and not supporting it with anything. I hate the self-helpy vibes that Christian books sometimes give - “How to overcome addiction in 40 days with 40 different scripture meditations”, etc., and that’s not how I feel when I read her books. Anyway, just wanted to give my two cents. Sorry you didn’t enjoy the book and that it’s ruined you for all her others :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not questioning her intentions, but this book did come across incredibly shallow to me. What did you think of the sections where she was talking about two-piece swimsuits, painting on a blank canvas, her tan feet....? I'm glad her books have encouraged you. Besides this one and "Good Boundaries and Good-Byes" have you read any others? And how would you say "It's Not Supposed To Be This Way" ranks with the other books you've read by her?

      Delete
    2. Also, never apologize for being the "disagree-er"! This post prompted more discussion than I expected, and I love it!

      Delete
    3. I’ve only ever read this book and listened to the audiobook of “Good Boundaries and Goodbyes.” The other book (GB&G) was a lot more impactful for me, and I have two other books by her in my library to read in the future. I do agree that she can get a little “fluffy” at times (but so can most female authors imo), but I really appreciate her genuineness and relatability. I also like that she incorporates therapy into her books.

      Delete