Monday, October 11, 2021

Let's Bust a Recap : None Like Him

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

"If you had told me five years ago that I would one day write a book for Christian women that led off with a quote from Proverbs 31, I probably would have punched you in the face."

And with that opening line, I knew Jen Wilkin and I would get along just fine.

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different from Us (and why that's a good thing) by Jen Wilkin was published in 2016 and explores ten of the unique attributes of God. In this slim volume, she touches on God's self-existence, self-sufficiency, eternality, immutability, omnipresence, infinity, sovereignty, omniscience, omnipotence, and incomprehensibility. Seem like a lot to cover in less than 200 pages? For sure. But Wilkin by no means claims to plumb the depths of these traits. She has said that her goal in writing this book is to point women back to the majesty of God in the hopes that they will meditate on His character and realize their own limitations in light of God's limitless power. None Like Him is designed to stimulate personal reflection and at the end of each chapter, Wilkin concludes with Scripture verses to meditate on further, four application questions, and a prayer prompt. 

Jen Wilkin has really grown in popularity among Christian circles in the last few years and is a passionate advocate for Bible literacy. Several trusted friends of like faith have recommended her books to me, and while participating in a book exchange during my year on the Instagram, I ended up receiving None Like Him and In His Image, two of her books on my wishlist. Even though I was excited to add her books to my shelves, I was a little hesitant to read them. One of my friends once explained Jen Wilkin's Bible study method to me, and while it is a sound method, it seemed a little overwhelming. I had the idea that her books would be very Academic and Intellectual, and I'd have to wade through them slowly, possibly with a dictionary near by. 

But contrary to my expectations, None Like Him proved to be extremely accessible and very readable. I intentionally only read one chapter a day so that I could attempt to meditate on the character trait covered. After finishing None Like Him, I immediately added two more of Wilkin's books to my wishlist. 

This is definitely a book I will revisit in future and one I recommend. None Like Him is a great book for women who have just newly discovered their faith and ones who have been walking with God for years. I don't know if I'll get to In His Image before the end of the year, but I'm now very much looking forward to reading it soon. 

Have you read any of Jen Wilkin's books or done any of her Bible studies? Who is one of your favorite Christian authors?

No comments:

Post a Comment