Monday, February 15, 2021

Let's Bust a Recap : Surprise Me

"I just want you to know, you're inspiring. Fifty-nine years." I look straight at him. "Fifty-nine years, loving one person. It's something. It's an achievement."

"Love is finding one person infinitely fascinating." John seems lost in thought again—then comes to. "And so...not an achievement, my dear." He gives me a mild, kind smile. "Rather, a privilege."

The first book I read in February turned out to be this happy yellow number that I picked up at The Book Shelter last summer. I wanted something light and fun after reading Unbroken, and this was almost the ticket. While there were definitely funny elements, even a few laugh out loud moments, I wouldn't exactly categorize this one as light although it was a very quick read. 

Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella was published exactly three years ago in February of 2018. Kinsella is best known for her Shopaholic series, but she also has several standalone novels as well and Surprise Me is one of them. I've seen the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic based on her books, and while it's one I enjoy, I've never felt compelled to seek out Kinsella's books. However, on one of my many shopping sprees at The Book Shelter last year, this bright yellow spine caught my eye and the premise of the story intrigued me so I brought it home. 

In Surprise Me, we are introduced to Sylvie and Dan who are celebrating 10 years together as a couple. They seemingly have it all: a happy marriage, beautiful home, healthy twin daughters, and great jobs. But after a routine visit to their doctor, they learn that with their genetics and current health trajectory they could end up living to be over 100 years old and being married another 68 years. 

So naturally, they panic.

What?!

I had a very difficult time reading the first half of this book. Setting aside the fact that these two young healthy people are distraught over the potential longevity of their lives (can you hear me rolling my eyes through the screen?), the idea that staying married to one person for multiple decades is somehow worse than a prison sentence was beyond distasteful to me. When my husband and I were dating and engaged, we dreamed of being married for 70+ years and just the thought of not making it that long distresses me. Suffice it to say, I could not connect with Sylvie and Dan who apparently never considered what "til death do us part" actually might mean.

But getting back to the book, when Sylvie hears the doctor's verdict, she immediately concocts a plan to keep their marriage fresh by implementing "Project Surprise Me" which she drags a reluctant Dan into. From unexpected (read: unwanted) gifts, to a sexy photo shoot gone horribly wrong, to both Dan and Sylvie trying to surprise each other with unique dates at the same time—disaster ensues and Sylvie begins to wonder if she ever really knew Dan at all. 

Further, when Sylvie discovers a secret phone in a locked drawer of Dan's desk and uncovers a scandal from the past she had no inkling of, Sylvie and Dan truly start to learn what being in a committed marriage actually means. 

As I mentioned before, a lot of this book was very frustrating for me to read. I wanted to force Sylvie and Dan into the same room and make them communicate with each other. And the way Sylvie completely idolized her late father even to the obvious detriment of her marriage was nearly unpalatable. I found myself wondering how in the world with all the amazing books I have in my house did I manage to choose two duds right at the outset of this year. 

But Kinsella's writing was consistent: I could hear Sylvie's voice throughout. She developed the plot fully all the way to her wholly satisfying conclusion. At the end when the same doctor informs them that he probably overestimated their life span and Sylvie and Dan suddenly feel like time has been stolen from them, I could not have been more gratified by these characters' growth and renewed commitment to one another. 

All in all, this is not a book I would recommend and it will also be going to the Little Free Library with The Oysterville Sewing Circle because I will not be reading it again, but thankfully, I didn't feel like it was a complete waste of my time and I'm not sad I read it. 

Just before I wrap this up: were you wondering about my starting unread number for 2021? I mentioned in last week's recap that I had counted up my unread books and I would share my starting number for the year with you today. Well, that number is......drumroll please.......508. Five. Hundred. Eight. Here's some fun math for you: if I read about 30 of my own unread books per year, that's seventeen years worth of material. Oy. We'll see if we can't get that down some by the end of the year.

I hope you had a fabulous Valentine's Day and were able to share it with someone you love this past weekend. What are your thoughts on long marriages? 

4 comments:

  1. it's really funny to read these recaps because as I read them I'm saying to myself, "well of COURSE you hate this book" haha

    as far as marriage, it's very serious and very intimidating. I would be more concerned about learning that I'm probably going to live to be 100+ tho...that sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Like, please tell me what I can do to AVOID getting that old! LOL

      Delete
  2. Ean’s great grandparents were married for over 70 years, and they were such a sweet example to us ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! So many couples in our church have been married over 50 years and I just love that heritage!

      Delete