Monday, December 7, 2020

Let's Bust a Recap : The Little Prince

It seems fitting to post my recap of The Little Prince today, the day that lives in infamy, the day the United States was drawn into WWII. The famous author and pilot, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, was grounded and living in the United States at the time Pearl Harbor was bombed. During his two years in the United States (between stints of flying reconnaissance missions in the French Air Force despite being far past the maximum age for such pilots and in declining health), he wrote this little novella that can't properly be classified as a children's book, nor a book for adults. 

That's because this book is for everyone. And up until a couple months ago, I had never read it. 

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was first published in the United States in 1943 in both English and French. Since that time, it has sold an estimated 140 million copies and has been translated into over 300 languages and dialects making it one of the best selling and most translated books of all time. My particular edition of this classic was translated from the original French by Richard Howard in 2000. It's been adapted into numerous art forms—not just movies and television but opera and ballet—and it continually draws new readers and reviewers selling about two million copies annually. How in the world it's taken me this long to finally read it is a true mystery, but I'm so glad it came to me in 2020.

From the back cover of my edition: 
A pilot stranded in the desert awakes one morning to see, standing before him, the most extraordinary little fellow. "Please," asks the stranger, "draw me a sheep." And the pilot realizes that when life's events are too difficult to understand, there is no choice but to succumb to their mysteries. He pulls out pencil and paper...And thus begins this wise and enchanting fable that, in teaching the secret of what is really important in life, has changed forever the world for its readers.

I fell in love with this book on page one when the narrator shows us his drawing of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant and describes how tiresome it is to be always explaining things to grown-ups. Actually, this book broke my heart even before it began with one of the most poignant dedications I've ever read, and quite frankly, the entire book is worth it just for Saint-Exupéry's dedication to his friend Leon Werth, in my opinion. But the story itself is chock-full of keen observations of the nature of man and piercing insights into the human condition. All of that along with Saint-Exupéry's simple illustrations make this a book you don't want to miss. The Little Prince fully embodies the quote by Henry David Thoreau that inspired this blog: "Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all." 

My little copy of this novella is particularly dear to me because my niece (who is not quite nine years old) gave it to me for my birthday this year. She remembered me mentioning months ago (maybe even more than a year ago) that I've been wanting this book for a long time and she found it herself at the bookstore and was so excited to give it to me that she couldn't even wait until my birthday. She loves to read, too, and it is the joy of my heart to be able to discuss books with her. This book will always have a special place in my heart because it was a gift of love from her. 

And if you haven't read it, get thee to a bookstore or library immediately and join the millions who have fallen in love with The Little Prince. This is definitely a book everyone should read and I can't think of a better time or place to read it than a quiet evening at the end of 2020 in front of your Christmas tree. 

Have you read The Little Prince? What's one of your most treasured books and why?

8 comments:

  1. one of my favorite books ever. so glad you finally read it and wow! niece points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww yes! This one is amazing. I’ve read it, seen the stage production, & the amazing little movie made recently. All of them are special in their own way.

    As for treasured books: my Anne books from YOU!!! Forever my favorites that I own. My collection is so haphazard, full of seasonal snags & freebies. But those? Treasures, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💛💛💛 I love you, kindred spirit!

      And I want to see the movie! One of my friends who loves the book recommended it to me. Do you know if it's on any of the major streaming platforms?

      Delete
    2. I love you too!! 💜
      It’s on Netflix as far as I know...

      Delete
  3. I actually just read this for the first time myself! I was amazed at how much it affected me, and how bleak the ending seemed (a far cry from the more contemporary children's books I've read). The story behind it makes it even more heart-wrenching... (excuse me, I need to go find a tissue)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I'm so glad people (by the millions) are still discovering this one—you and me included!

      Delete