Friday, November 13, 2020

Let's Bust a Recap : Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World

Alright, I'm just going to say it: I loved this book. This book is easily in my top five favorite books for 2020 and certainly my favorite nonfiction book for the year. 

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver was originally published in the summer of 2000 and is an invitation for every woman who's ever felt she isn't godly enough, isn't loving enough, isn't doing enough to slow down and find intimacy with God in the busyness of life. 

And in September of 2020, this book was a balm for my weary soul. 

Using the familiar story of busy Martha and adoring Mary, Joanna Weaver jumps off into deep Scriptural truths about God's love and care, our call to serve, the cure for our anxiety, and balancing worship with work. Spinning old stories with personal experiences, Scripture with quotes from great authors, Weaver brings every detail together in a quiet, lyrical summons to experience the mystery of sanctification with grace and wonder. Her writing reminded me very much of Robin Jones Gunn so you can imagine my delight when I realized that Robin and Joanna are friends and Joanna even shares a practical tip from Robin in this book about how to create space for personal worship in your daily routine. 

The thing I probably appreciated most about this book was the sweet balance Weaver emphasizes throughout. It seems in some contemporary Christian lit I've read, authors have a tendency to swing to one of two extremes: either there is a disturbing disregard for service in the guise of "taking care of ourselves" or there is a call to extreme service leaving the reader feeling an overwhelming obligation to participate in a frantic frenzy of activities to advance the Kingdom. In Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Weaver focuses on obeying Christ with our whole beings, coming to fill up at His table which should propel us outward in Christlike service of others. She reminds us of the truth that sanctification is a work of God that requires faithful obedience from us. It's something we can't accomplish in our own power, but we are called to work it out. It's a beautiful mystery. And instead of feeling inadequate to understand it or deflated at the constant one-step-forward-two-steps-back of my life, after reading this book I was reminded of God's irresistible grace and kindness and my small but sure place in His grand story. I mean, really, I could just cry thinking about it.

This is without question a book I will read again. And again and again. I'm so grateful that after years sitting unread on my shelf, it came to me in the midst of the madness of 2020. God is good. 

What book has encouraged you this year? 

6 comments:

  1. I want to read this NOW. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so good! I saw a copy at The Book Shelter this weekend and almost grabbed it, but for some reason I thought you already had it.

      Delete
  2. YES. I was so pleasantly surprised by this book when we read it accompanied by the study guide. I wasn't sure what it would be like, but it truly was beautiful & deep without being overwhelming. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering what you thought of it when you read it! I really, really loved it.

      Delete
  3. that pumpkin bread tho.

    sometimes the christian life can feel like such an exhausting highwire act and people are so prone to over-complication. sometimes people need the kick in the pants to sit down for a sec and realign, re-evaluate, and shut up for a tic and realize the call is very simple. really into your second to last paragraph here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word. It seems like people get pushed too far on worksworksworks that they tend to slam the pendulum back to selfcareselfloveselfselfself and this book had such a heavenly, balanced perspective: My burden is easy and My yoke is light. Loved it.

      Delete