Friday, July 27, 2018

Casual Fridays

Y'all. Casual Fridays have just died over here. Forget about it. So much time has passed. Where do we even start? I'll tell you where:
07/04/18
Because freedom and true love and the freaking 'stache. We spent our 4th of July eating way too much food and admiring Cody's magnificent facial hair. RIP The Mustache of 2018. Also, we played Euchre. Because I finally gave in and learned to play and now I'm addicted and can't stop. If you know this game, come play with me. 

Now for a proper bookish start to this post:
Here are some of the gems I've picked up at The Book Shelter lately. I think I've had pretty good self-control (considering the first time we went, I ended up with 14 books), but Cody's still a little fearful whenever I announce I'm heading for The Book Shelter. I've been back twice since that fateful anniversary trip, and along with all these fantastic books (including that Beth Moore Esther workbook which had nary a mark in it) I also scored the entire series of Parks & Rec on DVD. Because not only do they sell books, they sell board games and movies and video games—oh my! Have you read any of these? If I had to choose between Their Eyes Were Watching God, Rebecca, The Language of Flowers, or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for my 2019 book list, which one should make the cut? ("All of them" is an entirely acceptable answer.)
I'd probably be going to The Book Shelter a lot more frequently if I wasn't running off to the beach every spare day I get. Most of my trips have been solo, but I did manage to drag my BFF with me one day, and we ended up witnessing a totally casual wedding. (#memories) When we noticed they didn't have anyone to take a picture of the whole group, I sashayed my little bikini-clad body over to offer up my services as an impromptu photographer, much to the chagrin delight of my best friend. The family was very appreciative even though Christina wanted to melt into the sand. As you can see, my toenails haven't been entirely neglected this summer. That purple home pedi was flawless, but the beachy coral pedi was smudge city which has brought me to a new conclusion about smudgy pedicures: the nail polish brand matters. Anyone else find this to be true? 
I alluded to this in my God Is Able recap, but I didn't mention that my husband totally surprised me with these fun summery porch furniture cushions and they are making me so happy. Our porch chairs have been cushion-less since Irma, and I've been loving being able to (comfortably) spend more time outside this summer. 
06/04/18
I set a new world record Yahtzee score. (Ignore all of our confused faces, I was trying to figure out how to do a screenshot. #technicaldifficulties) But really though. 620??? That has to be a world record, right? Right?!
07/15/18
And speaking of my fellow Yahtzee Nazis (I just came up with that. Can I trademark it? Or is it offensive?), I squeezed in the quickest weekend roadtrip to see some of my favorite people recently. They're just extremely lucky I didn't smuggle my nephew home with me. Serious tears when I had to drive away from that baby. They're moving to Germany and even though they're really psyched about it, I'm still hitting my knees every morning asking God to make the Army change its mind. #sorrynotsorry Check Little Miss Thing eyeing her daddy like, "Gosh, you're so embarrassing, Dad!"
07/26/18
I got a few sweet hours with my other favorites yesterday. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are getting real good at faces-on-command. I treasure every second with these precious girls, and I hope they always love coming to Auntie Hannah's house. 
The puppies are doing good. Although between the two of them, I've cleaned up more puke this week than I would have preferred. Colonel likes to eat baby wipes so all trash cans have long been placed out of reach of either mangy mutt, but this week he managed to snitch two wipes that were literally sitting right next to me while I was changing a diaper and naturally they came back up a couple days later because baby wipes are not digestible, y'all. Don't eat them. Major regurgitated his breakfast Wednesday for no apparent reason. Perhaps he felt left out? The world may never know, and I am so over it.
Last summer around this time, I started a segment on the blog entitled "Adventures in Coloring" because my husband got me this insane grown-up coloring book. In the entire year since then, I have managed to complete two more pages. Two. And recently started a third. I'm obviously slaying. My hubby thinks the fish lips page doesn't even look finished because of how much I left white, but look at those teeny tiny scales, y'all! Haven't I done enough?!
I let some random stranger at a Fantastic Sam's hack up my hair a couple weeks ago because I was so bored with it, but, as is usually the case, I was immediately remorseful. It's hair. It grows. Whatever.
And if you've actually made it to the end of this post, I have a serious question for you. I have Mere Christianity and Othello lined up for my August reading, but I can't decide on which novel I'd like to tackle next. Should August include The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard, or Song of Deborah by Bette M. Ross? Help!

Did you make it this far? How's your summer been? To sum up: nail polish brand recommendations, 2019 book list choices, Yahtzee props, coloring encouragement, August novel vote. Annnnnd GO.

11 comments:

  1. "Because baby wipes are not digestible, y'all. Don't eat them. Major regurgitated his breakfast Wednesday for no apparent reason. Perhaps he felt left out? The world may never know, and I am so over it." This excerpt was perhaps my favorite out of the entire blog post, although there were some close seconds. Like my delight (read chagrin) over you sashaying your bikini clad body over to take pics of the wedding party. SMH. Best friend, I love you. lol So on to answering your questions....let's see....

    Nail polish brand recommendations: I honestly haven't done enough research into this particular topic, but I will be sure to do it and get back to you.

    2019 book list choices: Obviously, I'm gonna say all of them. And then you can just read what you feel like reading later on. That's how I would do it, and also why I don't do it. I'm too spontaneous for that kind of commitment.

    Yahtzee props: You are hands-down the QUEEN of the dice, and I bow to your prowess. I can never hope to beat you, therefore, I will just join you whenever I can. So...Yahtzee, anyone?

    Coloring encouragement: Get it, girl! Ask me how much I've colored over the last year. haha Plus, can we just start a long and involved conversation (read debate) over the best coloring medium to use? I love oil pastels, but they are expensive to get a really good brand. Coloring pencils take so much TLC because you have to keep sharpening them, and ain't nobody got time for that. Crayons are just SO FAT. Yes, I discriminate in this area.

    August novel vote: Song of Deborah. Sounds fascinating, and you should let me know everything you think about it AS SOON AS you finish reading it. Like, I don't care if it's 2 in the freaking AM, you call me, missy!

    Anyway, hope you enjoy this alternative to me actually posting a blog. hahahaha And I love you, best friend. As always :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I forgot to mention markers. They make them with the perfect tips (fine point for the small fish scales to color) but they BLEED THROUGH to the other side of the page. Whyyyyyy?!?!?! Ugh.

      Delete
    2. First of all: thank you for these comments. Because they are long and detailed and fantastic.

      Second of all: but DOES the fish lips page look complete??? And I personally love coloring with crayons best, but for these grown-up coloring books it HAS to be colored pencils, obsessive re-sharpening and all.

      Third: I was kindof leaning towards Song of Deborah myself, but it's looking like Tale of Two Cities is going to get the most votes. But I will let you know what I think of Song of Deborah whenever I read it. :)

      Delete
  2. Yahtzee Nazi is totally offensive. Just kidding. I love it. I'm going to vote A Tale of Two Cities for your August novel since I'm not terribly familiar (or not at ALL familiar) with the other ones listed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! My dad also voted for A Tale of Two Cities so it's looking like I will be starting that soon, although now that we're reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, my other novels may get pushed to the backburner for a week or two! :)

      Delete
  3. dickens for sure. those star wars shirts are everything. EVERYTHING.

    i miss these casual friday posts. do them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 3 votes for Dickens. I can't argue with a democratic majority.

      Listen, blogging takes time. You'll take what you get and be happy, sir!

      Delete
  4. Love the Star Wars shirts!!! Summer has been...ok. I've been working (yay money, boo busy), and the UV index is killing me softly...or crispy. Tiny baby does not like the pool or the beach because it's hot (2 hour max on all such things). I love going in October/November. Year round pools are awesome.

    Nail polish - I want to say OPI is a good brand that my mom likes. I need a pedicure.

    2019 - you're on your own. I think I've heard of all of them except the Language of Flowers, but haven't read any of them. The Potato Peel Pie Society is becoming a movie or something, so read before you watch. The preview I saw looked intriguing, and I like Lily James. Go for all of them!

    Tale of Two Cities is a fall read, in my opinion. Dark, gloomy days. October/November. My vote for August is Hinds Feet - super short and wonderful. Take it slower than you need to. I've flown through it both times I read it, and I need to ponder my way through...or get a hard copy to write in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OPI!! Yes! I think you're probably right on that. I'll have to go grab a couple bottles and test it out. My go-to is always Revlon just because that's what my mom always used, but it ALWAYS smudges.

      I'm actually starting Guernsey today because another blog friend of mine is re-reading her copy before the movie is released on Netflix. I like Lily James too, so I'll have to find a way to watch it once I finish the book.

      I was thinking the same thing about A Tale of Two Cities AND Return of the Native actually. Definitely more Autumn-ish. And now that I've decided to read Guernsey this month, I might have to go with Hinds' Feet instead of one of the longer ones. So much for asking for opinions. Haha!

      Delete
  5. Buddy, I can’t even with that Yahtzee score. Unbelievable! Should I ever even go against you ever again? Do I love being creamed? No. Do I love playing Yahtzee with you? Definitely. I miss you by the way.
    Um Cinco is sooooo cute! He’s your brother made over! Oh man - I hadn’t heard they were moving! Bummer! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    I love Essie nail polish. OPI is also a great brand. Essie has more of the blue-green fun summery colors I like though. But when in doubt I go bright red anyway.
    Book I have no opinion but I’m excited you’re reading Mere Christianity. I REALLY want to read it. I started it a few years ago and it was just too hard to read. I couldn’t do it. I want to try again. Dakota has a copy.
    I must’asche Cody to shave. That is all.
    Honey I am insanely jealous of all your beaching! I’ve only been once this summer! But who am I kidding. I live in Florida. I can go anytime I jolly well please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you toooo! I'm so excited for PMS night this week. :) (And I still can't even believe that Yahtzee score either.)

      HE IS A LITTLE OAKIE! It's crazy!

      I have one bottle of Essie and I LOVE the color, but it is probably the worst nail polish for smudging I own. And I tried to paint my fingernails with it once and it literally peeled off the same day. Ugh. I think you and Jen are right about OPI. I need to go buy a bottle of it and use that for my next pedi.

      I've started Mere Christianity a few times (once in high school, once in college, once after college), but I've never stuck with it. This is the year!

      Honey, the mustache literally lasted 24 hours. Haha! We should squeeze in a beach day together SOOOOON!

      Delete