Monday, July 30, 2018

The Entertainer Book Tag

Last week, Sabrina from Tired Mom Reading tagged me to answer some fun bookish questions. So here I am not procrastinating at all and answering them within a week of reading her post. Yay me! 
Six Questions from Sabrina

1. What is your favorite book-to-movie adaption? Least favorite?

Oh boy. Thanks for starting with such an easy question, Sabrina. All the movies just popped into my head. Okay, for favorites I think I'll go with The Help or A Walk to Remember. (We weren't supposed to pick just one, were we??) 
For least favorites, the first trainwreck that popped into my mind is Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story, but I can't even count that because adaptation of WHAT? Not any Anne book I've ever read. Ugh. So officially I'll go with The Hobbit trilogy. I thought the first movie was pretty good, but the second one was so abysmal I didn't even bother watching the third one. 

2. You're hosting a dinner for your three favorite heroes/heroines. Who will be there, what will you talk about, and does everyone leave alive?

Christy (Miller) Spencer, Katie (Weldon) Lorenzo, and Sierra (Jensen) Bryce obviously. We will talk about literally everything under the sun, and we will particularly encourage each other in our roles as wives. Of course we will all leave alive with our next Girls Night Out already on the calendar.
*These are all characters written by Robin Jones Gunn for anyone this reference is lost on.*

3. What is a book you would recommend to everyone and why?

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom because not only is it full of beautiful truth, suspense,  and adventure, it's all true and the events in the book happened during such an important time in world history that we ought never forget about. And BONUS along the same lines, I'd also recommend Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand to anyone. Both are excellent.

4. Who are your fictional book crushes?

Gilbert Blythe, Todd Spencer, and Mr. Knightley are probably my top three. Need I elaborate? I think not.

5. What book series do you wish there was more of? How about less of?

This is another tough one. I wish the Anne of Green Gables books could just keep going forever and ever, generation after generation. I'd also love some more Little Women in my life. 
The "less of" is a little harder. Do we have to have read the books to know we want less? I can honestly say I wish the Twilight and 50 Shades books never existed, but I haven't actually read them.

6. Where is your favorite place to get books?

I love to find little hole-in-the-wall used bookstores. My all-time favorite was Booktraders in downtown Winter Haven, but sadly, it closed. My current local favorite is The Book Shelter in Lake Wales. I hope they stick around. 

Thanks so much for tagging me, Sabrina! I'll tag Lyndsey @ The Bolden JourneyCaroline @ Big World :: Small GirlChristina @ Remember to be Tandy, Alison @ The Juggling Act, and Jen @ "Just a Mom's" View. My six questions for y'all are:

1. Do you re-read books? What was the last book you re-read?
2. What book are you most proud of finishing?
3. What are some of your hobbies aside from reading?
4. What is your favorite read (so far) of 2018? Least favorite?
5. Bookmarks or dog-ears?
6. Who are your read-everything-they-ever-wrote favorite authors?

Full disclosure: I totally cherrypicked these questions from other Entertainer Book Tag posts I ended up reading when I fell down the blog hole after Sabrina tagged me. 

If I didn't tag you, but you decide to do this on your blog, please come back and leave the link to your post so I can read your answers, and if you don't have a blog, feel free to answer any or all of these questions down in the comments and we can talk all things bookish!

11 comments:

  1. Love it! I am so with you on "The Continuing Story" garbage. Where did that stuff even come from?! I also didn't make it to the third Hobbit movie. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but whoever is responsible should never be allowed to make another movie again!

      Delete
  2. 1. perhaps ironically, i think the Lord of the Rings trilogy is the best book-to-film adaptation i've ever seen. Jurassic Park a close second.

    2. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars), Dean Moriarty (On the Road), David (1 Samuel). We'd swap stories. Dude stuff.

    3. I don't know if there's one book I would recommend to everyone (besides the Bible). So i guess the Bible. easy out, i know.

    4. Aravis from "Horse and his Boy", and I had a crush on Susan Pevensie. Elizabeth Bennett from "Pride and Prejudice". Vera Claythorne from "And Then There Were None". any of Lee Child's heroines. or Mike Crichton's (specifically Kate from "Timeline"). i also fell deeply in love with Darby Shaw from Grisham's "Pelican Brief"--and I liked Ellen Roark from "A Time to Kill". and of course my first literary love was Wendy. i'm also finding Hermione from Harry Potter to be quite charming.

    5. Hmmm...I wish Crichton had written some sequels. I actually wish there were fewer Narnia books (i despise the Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Last Battle). But most series I think are just as long/short as they need to be. oh! that's not true--Dekker's Circle Trilogy. He never should have added the fourth book, "Green". nah dude, don't do that.

    6. a place where the one i'm looking for is easy to find. or i'm easy to find for the book that's looking for me.

    YOUR QUESTIONS (i'm avoiding work like the plague):

    1. I don't really. Every so often i'll re-read a favorite. last book i re-read was probably "And Then There Were None", i usually read that in a night. mostly i go back and read passages or chapters. I love re-visiting sections from "On the Road", or specific lines of Steinbeck. and i'm constantly flipping through 1 Samuel and visiting David, Jonathan, Abigail, Saul, Michal...love those guys.

    2. hmmmm...i always feel more satisfied/unsatisfied vs. proud. and i'm usually satisfied after reading a good book--and i try to only read good ones.

    3. film. travel. writing. hiking. running. beach. sleeping. also i like to party.

    4. i'm very much enjoying the Harry Potter series very much to my surprise.

    5. bookmarks. don't bend pages. gross.

    6. hmmm...Ted Dekker used to be. i like Lewis. I love Crichton's stuff. Child's Reacher books. Corben's great. Steinbeck. whoever's writing good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also Becky from Tom Sawyer and Jo from Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, I can't even believe you just said that about Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love that one. Are you even my brother?!

      Second, have you read the Lord of the Rings trilogy? I'm thinking about putting it on my book list next year, but it intimidates me. Also, I'm nervous that I'll love the movies less after reading the books (especially after the Hobbit fiasco), but I have it on good authority from readers of LotR that the movies do the books justice.

      I love all your fictional crushes. You picked some good ones.

      And we are such Osbornes: NEVER BEND A PAGE!

      Delete
    2. it's just a bit too episodic for me. and Eustace is insufferable. and Lucy deserved a better send-off. (i think the movie did this one better).

      2. i read the LOtR books in high school--and i really, really struggled through them. Tolkien loved his tangents, and he had a great many of them. i think the films are so great because they streamline his books so well. still, you should read them. his language(s) is beautiful and it's fun to be in Middle Earth for a time.

      Delete
    3. Oh man, I love Eustace's story and his growth through Dawn Treader. And him turning into a dragon?? Come on. That's one of my favorites bits of the whole series. (Though Magician's Nephew has actually always been my favorite Narnia book.)

      Yeah, I tried to start Fellowship once and didn't even make it through the first chapter. They're so different from The Hobbit which, I think, is what threw me because I love The Hobbit so much. I definitely want to read them at least once though. Maybe 2019 will be the year.

      Delete
  4. Replying here because I am procrastinating on working out and putting laundry away...heh. ��

    1. I would say ‘A Walk to Remember’. One of my least favorites is actually ‘The Help’ because they left so much out! Haha

    2. Christy Miller Spencer, Rahab and Elizabeth Elliot. Does the last one count? ��

    3. Bible and Pursuit of Holiness by jerry Bridges or Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin

    4. Todd Spencer (same wave length ��)...that’s all I can come up with right now. I need to read more fiction. Lol

    5. More Christy Miller...always. Lol. I need to read married years and Katie books and Sierra books...if only these kids didn’t need to eat so often. Lol. Less Lord of the Rings? I just can’t. Maybe one day.

    6. The Book Shelter!!!

    Your questions:

    1. The only books I've reread are the Christy miller Series. I haven’t read them lately though.

    2. 1000 gifts by Ann Voskamp. Phew...

    3. Going to the beach, hiking, floating in the pool, shopping, sleeping. #momlife

    4. So far...Women of the Word by jen Wilkin

    5. Bookmarks

    6. Francine Rivers

    ���� Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Funny that we feel opposite about The Help!

      I didn't say more Christy Miller because she's STILL WRITING THEM! Haha! There's a new one coming out next year.

      I've been hearing so many good things about Jen Wilkin. I guess I'll need to read her soon.

      Love you too!!

      Delete
  5. Oh man, you tagged me in this?! If you email me the questions, I PROMISE I will respond to all of them in a blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Wow, you really are behind. E-mail sent.

      Delete