Monday, August 21, 2017

Let's Bust a Recap : The Hiding Place

Wow. Easily one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life. 
Let's talk about The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom.
The Hiding Place is Corrie ten Boom's own story of surviving the horrific second World War. In this precious gem of a book, we learn all about Corrie's sweet family and their simple life at her beloved Beje, the invasion and occupation of Holland by Nazi Germany, Corrie's involvement and adventures with the illegal underground network that existed during the war to help those hunted and persecuted by the Germans, her arrest and imprisonment which eventually landed her in a women's concentration camp in Germany, and finally her release and her life-giving work after the war. Throughout the entire book are woven the beautiful truths of God's love, hope, forgiveness, joy, grace given just when it is needed, and, impossibly, His perfect goodness.

I have never before felt such opposite emotions all tangled up together inside me while reading one book. The shining blessing of the hope Christ offers contrasts sharply against the ugly despair of the capacity humans have for cruelty. I wavered between being thrilled by the exciting tales of bravery and adventure and being filled with dread and heartache that these events actually happened and that there is so much wickedness in our world. I was inspired and humbled by Corrie and Betsie ten Boom's unshakeable faith in God. I did not make it through one chapter of this book without crying, many times having to put the book down to find a tissue before I could even see through the tears to keep reading. It is quite possibly the most captivating, heartbreaking book I have ever read, and I would not just recommend it, I would urge you to read it.

Have you read The Hiding Place or any of Corrie ten Boom's books? Did you ever get to meet her or hear her speak? She died a few years before I was born, but I'm so thankful that I got to meet her in the pages of this beautiful book. Have any of you been to the crooked house and watchshop on the Barteljorisstraat in Holland and gotten to peek into the secret room?

"There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still."
- Corrie ten Boom -

14 comments:

  1. i have read it i think three times now, but i definitely want to read it again. it is such an eye-opening and emotional book. it is definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savannah, you are the coolest. How are you liking Screwtape Letters?

      Delete
  2. I read it in High School, looking forward to reading it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This definitely will not be the last time I read this one. So good!

      Delete
  3. great book, great lady. in hollande i unfortunately did not get to the ten boom house, but i did make it to the frank hiding place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I think The Diary of Anne Frank may need to be on next year's list.

      Delete
  4. I have no idea why I haven't read this book yet, but I've more or less decided I want my book club to do it as soon as we finish our current selection. I'm familiar with the story, but I need to read it for myself, as both an historian and a Christian. Maybe I saw the movie a really long time ago? I've never read Anne Frank in its entirety, either - only adaptations, movies, and stage shows. I may avoid Holocaust books on purpose because I know how painful it will be, but it's all the more reason to read them because they need to be remembered.

    Looking forward to reading this, and I'll make sure to keep the tissues handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, this was my first time reading it! I've grown up hearing her story, but for whatever reason, I never actually read The Hiding Place myself. And same story with Anne Frank. I think I will read that next year. They are difficult to read, but like you said: so important.

      Let me know what you think when you get around to it!

      Delete
  5. One of the most influential and inspiring books I have ever read. Even though I do not feel worthy, I would very much like to sit at the feet of Corrie and her sister and listen to them talk when we get to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This summary made me want to read the book, so good job ;) Also that quote is amazing!!! Have you read my recent "book"? And by book, I mean that blog post I wrote yesterday. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally, I JUST finished reading and commenting on it. I was about to call you. Haha!

      Delete
  7. Consider reading "In My Father's House" by Corrie Ten Boom. It talks about her life before "The Hiding Place". It was so interesting to me to understand God's preparation of her faith before "The Hiding Place" events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check that out. :)

      Delete