Monday, July 9, 2018

Let's Bust a Recap : God Is Able

Not to start out with too much silliness, but that photo is real, y'all. That's my book on my happy summer chair cushions. Is it just me or does it look like some fake stock photo I stole from the internet? No? I'm ridiculous? Fine. On to the recap.

God Is Able was originally published in 2013 and is by one of my favorite Bible teachers, Priscilla Shirer. In this excellent book, Priscilla breaks down two of the most extravagant verses in the Bible: Ephesians 3:20-21.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen."

With an introduction, seven distinct chapters each dealing with a word or phrase from the verses, a conclusion, and weighing in at a mere 157 pages, this book is simple and wouldn't take very long to read. I deliberately made myself slow down with this one, reading it more like a devotional than just another quick book to check off my list.

The thing I most appreciated about this book is how she really broke down the verses into those seven sections. My dad (who is only the greatest preacher alive: no brag, just fact) is always challenging me to slow down and meditate on Scripture. Literally taking it one word at a time and letting the richness of God's Word penetrate down deep into my soul. I find that really difficult to do. It's more natural for me to want to use an hour to read as much as I can than to take that hour and meditate on just one word or phrase. And the first chapter in God Is Able was all on that one tiny first word: "Now..."

Not only did she really break the verses down into bite-sized pieces, she filled each chapter with personal and practical testimony of God's magnificent ability. She didn't just theorize and philosophize and wax eloquent about the potential of God's ability, she shared ways she's witnessed His ability in her own life and in the lives of people she personally knows. What is one of the best ways we bring glory to God? We testify. And Priscilla really did that well in this book.

But she didn't just leave it at encouraging stories and anecdotal evidence, she backed everything with Scripture and more Scripture, drawing from the Old and New Testaments to illuminate these two truly astounding verses smack-dab in the middle of Ephesians.

I really liked that this book wasn't a theological mind-bender that takes determined concentration and effort to read, but it was still challenging and encouraging. This book draws your attention to God and His ability, and it gives Him all the glory. I would highly recommend it.

What books help you slow down and meditate on God's Word? What books have encouraged and challenged you in your spiritual development? 

11 comments:

  1. Honey, you are basically a professional photographer/stager/set designer and at this point I’m just happy I “knew you when...”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I really want to read this book! Sounds so good! Can I borrow it some time? I have a book I’m finishing and one after that that just came in today but maybe after that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just say when and it's yours! What books are on the docket?

      Delete
  3. I heard her to a breakdown of these verses in a study...or maybe it was more than one. Armor of God deals with Ephesians, and Faithful, Abundant, True was a combination study that she did with Kay Arthur and Beth Moore. I'm doing a Beth Moore study on I and II Thessalonians in the fall, and I'm looking forward to it!

    Some of my favorite spiritual life books are: Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer on the attributes of God. So good. Knowing God by J.I. Packer has some overlap with that one, but I really liked it. The Screwtape Letters is awesome, and I've read it over and over again. So helpful. The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis is another favorite. Lifetime Guarantee by Bill Gillham is probably the least well known of my favorites, but it has such a great explanation of walking in the Spirit and what it means to overcome walking in the flesh. He brings it back to Scripture in ways that I didn't typically hear in church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE Packer and Tozer!! I've never heard of Bill Gillham. I'll have to look him up.

      Delete
  4. That picture is hashtag legit, best friend. And this post made me want to watch War Room again. She is such a powerfully Biblical woman of God, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine is starting another of her Bible studies, and she told me in choir the other night that they're going to open up a Sunday school class for it for women who can't make it during the week. We should sign up together!!!

      Delete
    2. I have failed, horribly, at the faithful attending of the Sunday School Bible study. Please don't hold it against me.

      Delete
    3. It's a new year! Time to get back to it, girl!

      Delete