Monday, July 2, 2018

Let's Bust a Recap : The Professor

Can we even believe it's July already?! The year is officially half over. Christmas is basically right around the corner, you guys. Somebody please make it slow down!

The first book I finished in June was The Professor by Charlotte Brontë. The Professor was actually the first novel Charlotte Brontë ever wrote. However, it was the only one of her completed novels that she was not able to get published during her lifetime, and honestly: I get it. It wasn't my favorite. From what I understand, she re-worked a lot of this novel into Villette which I own but have not read yet, so it will be interesting to compare the two when I ever get around to it.

This novel is about the young William Crimsworth (who I'm still not sure if I was supposed to like or not) and the story is written as a first-person narrative from his perspective. Through a series of events, he basically cuts ties with all his relations, moves to Brussels, and becomes an English teacher. 

The plot was mediocre (at best), none of the characters were likable (save one), and there was just enough French in this book to make me extremely frustrated that I don't understand French. My biggest and most important recommendation for you if you ever decide to read this book is to get an edition that has the French translated into English in the footnotes because there were times I was reading the book when I just wanted to scream. I was able to put enough together contextually to follow the story, but I'll tell you what, that's the first and last book I'll be reading from Kennebec/Chivers Press. (I bought this book in one of those $3 warehouses you see cheap billboards for on big-time roadtrips. Now I know why the books are so cheap.)

All in all, I wasn't impressed with The Professor, and I wouldn't really recommend it. Sounds like Villette would be more worth the time, and someday, I'll either confirm or deny that supposition on ye olde blog. Until that day, I say if you want to read Charlotte Brontë, go for Jane Eyre. 

Do you like the Brontë sisters? Which of their novels are your favorites? Least favorites? I have three left to complete my Brontë reading: Villette, Shirley, and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Any suggestions on which should come next?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you a MILLION for the Jane Eyre encouragement. I loved it & am so glad you pushed me into it AND gave me a gorgeous copy :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it! It's one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  2. Jane Eyre is one of MY favorites as well! Have you ever seen a movie adaptation of the book? I saw one that was made pretty recently that I really liked, but I think since then, it has been taken off Netflix/Hulu or whatever platform I watched it on. Sad day.

    Also, so glad I didn't attempt to read this book since you didn't really like it. I depend on you for my classical book recs. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID watch the 2011 adaptation which, I believe, was on Netflix for a while. It was okay, but the book is so much better.

      Yeah, you definitely wouldn't have finished this one. lol (Did you ever finish Tess of the d'Urbervilles?)

      Delete
    2. No, but I was thinking about that just a few minutes ago while reading your Dickens book summary. I was like, "I should finish that book." In all honesty, if you weren't my best friend, my classical book repertoire would be relegated to Jane Eyre, White Fang, Call of the Wild, House of Mirth, and that's pretty much it. Haha

      Delete
    3. You should definitely finish Tess. It was so good! And what's crazy is that your favorite classics are the ones I haven't read yet (except Jane Eyre...of course I've read that!)...even though I have them! I almost put House of Mirth on my 2019 book list, but it didn't make the cut.

      Delete