Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Word for Wednesday

"Was it through reason that I arrived at the necessity of loving my neighbour and not throttling him? 
I was told it as a child, and I joyfully believed it, because they told me what was in my soul. 
And who discovered it? Not reason. 
Reason discovered the struggle for existence and the law which demands that everyone who hinders the satisfaction of my desires should be throttled. 
That is the conclusion of reason. 
Reason could not discover love for the other, because it's unreasonable."

~from Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy~
Artwork : Del Parson

6 comments:

  1. Amen. Interesting speech from Tim Keller on this at the Parliamentary Prayer Breakfast in the UK recently. Might give it a listen? https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/tim-keller-parliamentary-prayer-breakfast/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I will definitely listen to it.

      It's funny: I'm currently reading Tuesdays with Morrie, and there's a quote I'm considering putting on the blog that includes the phrase "Love is the only rational act." Contradictory or not? :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, let's call it irony & leave it at that ;)

      Delete
    3. Also, I watched the speech and my main takeaway was: "I didn't realize Tim Keller was that old and looked like that."

      Okay, maybe not my MAIN takeaway but definitely a big impression. I don't know why I thought he was much younger, but I definitely did.

      Delete
  2. That is a great quote. I feel like that's my main reaction to every quote you post on your blog, but seriously, they're just that good.

    ReplyDelete