Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Salads or Steaks

Oh Little Women. It's just the best. (picture me sighing contentedly) I think Marmee is probably the best and wisest mother in literature. Her little speeches to her girls leave nothing to be desired or discussed. Take this one, for instance: 
"Money is a good and useful thing, Jo; and I hope my girls will never feel the need of it too bitterly, nor be tempted by too much. I should like to know that John was firmly established in some good business, which gave him an income large enough to keep free from debt, and make Meg comfortable. I'm not ambitious for a splendid fortune, a fashionable position, or a great name for my girls. If rank and money come with love and virtue, also, I should accept them gratefully, and enjoy your good fortune; but I know, by experience, how much genuine happiness can be had in a plain little house, where the daily bread is earned, and some privations give sweetness to the few pleasures; I am content to see Meg begin humbly, for, if I am not mistaken, she will be rich in the possession of a good man's heart, and that is better than a fortune."
From chapter 20 ("Confidential") page 224.

This reminds me of one of my favorite Bible verses:

"Better is a dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred." 
 -Proverbs 15:17 (NASB)

I would rather eat salads with this guy every day for the rest of my life than steaks with anyone else. And for those of you who actually know me, that's huge.
moving into our first Home Sweet Home together
I know, this is like, the second mushy post this week. What can I say? June really is the month of romance.

Any other votes for Best Literary Mom award? Who would you rather eat salad with? Or are you one of those weirdos who actually like salad to begin with? (Don't be offended that I just called you a weirdo. But really though. Salad?)

P.S. Robin Jones Gunn announced on her blog yesterday that the pre-order is FINALLY open for One More Wish!! You better believe the receipt is already sitting in my inbox. I'm so #happy!

4 comments:

  1. Adam. All day. Everyday.

    I love salad. Especially with steak and cheese on top. ;)

    What!? I still need to catch up and read the rest of...whatever it is I still need to read to catch up. I think the Latie series and then the one about Todds dad. Correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. After The College Years there are 4 Katie books and then one book about Todd's dad. The one coming out is the third book of Todd and Christy's married years. =)

      Delete
  2. "I should like to know that John was firmly established in some good business, which gave him an income large enough to keep free from debt, and make Meg comfortable."

    Those were the days. I mean, I'm happy to be making an income to help with the bills, but once we start a family, I'm praying that God will bless us with the funds so that I can be a housewife and stay-at-home mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep truckin', best friend. Praying he finds a good job SOON!

      Delete