Friday, June 19, 2015

Casual Fridays

Where do I even begin this week? I skipped Casual Friday last week because I pretty much poured my soul into this post, and now I feel like we have a lot to catch up on. Because, you know, I'm sure you're all dying to know every last little detail about my life. Right? Wait, Lyndsey and Christina are the only two reading this? Why aren't you two doing a better job of promoting my blog already? Kidding. (kindof) Anyway, here goes nothin'. 

First on the agenda: I started a new Bible study last week. Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer. My sister-in-love is leading this study in her home, and I'm already being challenged by it in a big way. This is my second study by Priscilla Shirer. I did Gideon a while back and LOVED it so I was really excited to jump into this one. 
*SAP ALERT* Skip ahead if you're not into it.

Last Thursday (after our new Bible study group met for the first time), I came home to these gorgeous roses. It had just been one of those weeks, ya feel me? And even though my man had just worked his third 12-hour shift in a row, he went out and got me roses. 

I don't know if you've picked up on it yet, but flowers are my love language. What? You didn't know there was a sixth love language that was just FLOWERS? Gary Chapman ain't got nothin' on me. I'll write my own dang book. 

The point of all this? My husband is the best, and he speaks my love language fluently.

I mean really, how pretty are those roses?!
Friday night and Saturday was Living Proof Live in Tampa, finally! I've been looking forward to this all year. Not kidding. And believe me when I say, I was not disappointed. It was a powerful, Spirit-filled weekend of worship and edification, and I was so glad to share it with all these sweethearts:
Our motto for the weekend was "R-E the most beautiful prefix in history." We talked about reverberating, restoring, reframing, replanting, repenting, and remembering. It was awesome. And of course, we Siestas had to meet up for our clandestine photo op with Mama Beth afterwards:
It was a fabulous weekend, and it left me begging for more. I mean, seriously Ms. Beth, don't throw out the idea of a Women's VBS if we can't follow through on that, amiright? Anyway, if you want to watch the beautiful recap they made of the weekend, click here.

Moving on...

I'm well into the Psalms right now, and I think we may have to install a little Psalm of the Week segment here on our Casual Fridays posts. This first one comes out of the 37th Psalm verses 23-26 (NASB):
"The steps of a man are established by the Lord, 
And He delights in his way.
When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong,
Because the Lord is the One who holds his hand.
I have been young and now I am old
Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
Or his descendants begging bread.
All day long he is gracious and lends,
And his descendants are a blessing."

What a beautiful promise: I will not be hurled headlong because the Lord is holding my hand. That's something I can hang on tight to.

Elisabeth Elliot, December 21, 1926 ~ June 15, 2015
In other news, Elisabeth Elliot went home to be with our precious Lord this week. This dear woman has influenced thousands--maybe millions--of people during her life, and I am so thankful for her dedication to God and furthering the truth of His Word. Her books have challenged me and also encouraged me during some dark times. She lived a good long life, and I hope that her words continue to challenge and encourage the generations to come. One quote of hers that I love is this:

"Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering. The love of God is of a different nature altogether. It does not hate tragedy. It never denies reality. It stands in the very teeth of suffering."


Colonel's Corner
This sweet thing went under the knife this week, y'all. There will never be any little Colonels running around because on Monday, June 15, Colonel's manhood was stripped from him. 

Poor guy.

He apparently did really well. When we got there to pick him up, we could hear him before we could see him, and the techs informed us that he was ready to go home 5 minutes after the surgery was complete.

Excuse me?! Why didn't you call me to come get my baby immediately?? (Yes, I'm turning into that girl.)

Anyway, the pain meds do weird things to him, and so far, I haven't observed him being any calmer than he was before, which is supposed to be one of the  benefits of neutering a dog. 

But it hasn't even been a whole week yet, so here's hoping.


Let's close this week out with a little Link Love, shall we?

One of the Biggest Lies the Church Has Taught You : I know, I hate posts with buzz word kinda titles, too. But this one is really good. 

Doghouse Diaries: Self-Diagnoses : Because HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Benny the Bull Kiss Cam : Because pay attention to your woman!

Disney Princess Medley : Because Bonnie Milligan is frickin' hilarious.

Annnnnnd....I think that's it for this week, folks. Do you feel sufficiently caught up on my life?

Oh and P.S. I didn't win the contest if anyone was wondering. I know. Devastating. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm still reading!! :) wish I could've made it last night to bible study!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Sydney!! We missed you at Bible study!

      Delete
  2. i feel almost sufficiently caught up on your life.

    don't know much about lady Bible studies, but looks like you guys had a good time. sad to hear of Elisabeth Elliot's passing--what a lady. that quote is something else. wisdom, folks.

    your poor, poor dog. but hilarious that you went mama dog.

    i'm a fan of that "biggest lie" article, but i feel like context would be pretty important for this one: "So the next time you hear someone say, 'Sheep are dumb,' gently correct them, 'No, sheep are not dumb, they are defenseless, created to depend on God in all things.'" ha.

    that kiss cam guy. what a doofus.

    IT'S A MAMA BEAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reagan! You DO still read my blog! ;)

      Also, I could just imagine someone driving somewhere (say Ireland) and there are all these sheep in the road and they cry out in rage, "SHEEP ARE DUMB!" and you turn it into this soft-hearted theological lesson. I'm dying laughing over here. Ok, it's past midnight and I should be asleep. Quit judging me!

      You are the best for sending me that video.

      Delete
  3. Hannah, I subscribe to your blog now so I can hang on your every word!!! Also, I love this post so much. So much good stuff in it! I love your sweet and sensitive heart, too. Miss youuuuuu!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, P-Nutt!! So glad you commented, buddy! Miss you mooooooorrrrrreeeee!

      Delete
  4. So good. I LOVE your long posts, BTW. I know they take extra time and effort, but i love them. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They do take time which I haven't had a lot of lately (hence my Laziest Blogger Alive status), but I am really enjoying blogging and I'm glad you like reading them. =) Love YOU!

      P.S. I kept checking your blog yesterday for a new Foto Friday post!

      Delete