Saturday, October 1, 2016

It Being Election Year And All...

I'm taking a vote. I've hit that time of year (or maybe I've simply gotten to a point on my book list) where I'm just ready to take up with an old familiar friend of a book instead of powering through on my quest to read all the greats before I die. So since this whole blog is about that aforementioned quest, I need your opinion. Should I:

A) Dive with reckless abandon into the world of Anne Shirley for the umpteenth time and don't even look back.

B) Go off-list and read one of my new Robin Jones Gunn books which is bound to be a friendly read for a little break and then hit it hard again once I've finished it.

C) Suck it up and stick to the list because I actually have a shot at finishing it this year which leads to two sub-choices:
1) Keep soldiering on through The Pilgrim's Progress.
2) Take a break from Bunyan and start one of the remaining books on my list that might be a little easier to get through.
So your choices are A, B, C1 or C2. And if your answer is C2, I will then need you to cast a vote from the remaining books on my list.
a) Secrets of the Blessed Man by Paul Tassell
b) The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
c) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
d) Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss
This is not a drill, people. I need your honest opinions, and I need them ASAP. Be a pal and vote. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. My name is Hannah Hancock, and I approve this message.

21 comments:

  1. C2b it just seems like a great book to read in the fall... and also because now I want to read it, but I have a trilogy to get through.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I was kindof saving it for Fall because I feel the same way! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ah, a kindred spirit and willing enabler. I love you. :)

      Delete
  3. B. I'm always a supporter of some RJG. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH NO.
    What if the vote lends no majority?!
    I'm leaning C2c (which is a hilarious way to categorize this ballot, btw)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thank you for appreciating the ballot.

      Second of all, right now, C2a actually has 2 votes: 1 here and 1 on facebook. Of the remaining books on my list, it would be the shortest and easiest one to get through.

      I have been dying to read C2c all year and saving it for such a time as this, so I might actually go with your vote.

      But as for today, I continued on in The Pilgrim's Progress.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. So now we have a 3-way tie between B, C2a, and C2c. What ever shall I do?

      Delete
  6. Definitely B! How have you not read it already?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not BRAND NEW Robin Jones Gunn books--just new-to-me books. Christy Miller's Diary and Gardenias for Breakfast.

      Delete
  7. I "vote" you kick the whole democratic process to the curb, put on your big girl panties, and stick to The Pilgrim's Progress. You got a real shot here Hannah. A shot at glory. The glory of finishing your ambitious book list. Don't let the masses dictate your focus; you'll be as directionless as a tugboat in a hurricane. Now get in there and finish that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, If this didn't kick all of our little booties in gear, then I don't know what will. Great encouragement, Oak!

      Delete
    2. Baahahaha! These are the moments I know without a doubt you are my brother and we are Nate Osborne's kids. And just so you know, I have stuck to The Pilgrim's Progress though I'm still a ways from the finish line.

      Delete
  8. I'm terrible at finishing books one at a time, so I read at least 3 and float around. In that spirit, I recommend C2c for an easy break book, though I probably finished C2b faster due to when I read it. The Scarlet Letter has a 40-something page intro that was a deal breaker the first time I tried reading it. I liked it more than I thought I would, and found it different than I expected. I loved The Book Thief for the history, narration, and characters, but the content makes you want to take it a little slower at times.

    I only finished the first half of Pilgrim's Progress for summer reading in 9th grade. I've always intended to finish it. The Holy War should make your next list ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like The Scarlet Letter too, but that intro did break me last year which is why I'm trying again this year. I haven't read it since high school. I'm really looking forward to The Book Thief. One of my good friends told me it's the best modern classic she's read. :)

      Glad you're reading, Jen!! How's Hawaii??

      Delete
  9. Soldier on book warrior no quitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dad! It's going to be close, but I still think I have a shot at making it.

      Delete