Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Here's What You Should Do


Ok. We're doing this. Our next presidential election is less than one month away, and, until now, I have refrained from making any political remarks. I'm going to say this once, and then I'll be done. 

For the love of your fantasy football team, stop it with all the political guilt-tripping already.

I'm so sick of it. I've posted in the past about keeping yourself informed and writing our Supreme Court Justices and other elected officials. I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I try to keep myself informed and make intelligent decisions when I go to the polls. And here's what I think you should do:

Vote. Period and full stop. 

If you want to vote for Donald Trump, do it. If you want to vote for Hillary Clinton, go right ahead. If you want to vote for some obscure, third-party candidate who may or may not be on the ballot in each state, I will not try to change your mind. Just vote.

I obviously have my own opinions, and you hopefully have yours. But for crying out loud, please stop pummeling the free world with all your unhelpful, unkind, and unnecessary memes about why the candidates you're NOT voting for are unacceptable choices for me and how me not agreeing with you makes me a morally, spiritually, and intellectually bankrupt person. 

This is a difficult election. There is no easy or good choice. I think most of us can admit that and agree that we're having a hard enough time making a decision at all without all the name-calling and condemnation. So unless it is your job--and let me clarify: a "job" means you are receiving actual money to perform a specific task--to campaign for a particular candidate, can you please limit your words to ones that are kind, helpful, AND necessary? And to (once again) further clarify: that "necessary" clause eliminates 97% of anything you're about to say.

I (and the rest of the civilized population) would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks and God bless.

7 comments:

  1. so much name-calling, ranting, shaming, whining, preaching, condemning, etc.

    how many of those people will actually show up to the polls?

    put this post on a billboard. on all the billboards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one last thing while I'm riding my political rant horse here, if one more Christian person comes at me with this "you don't have to vote for the lesser of two evils" argument, they can leave the country. Because as long as we're voting for human-born people, we are voting for the "lesser of evil". If you want to vote third party, knock yourself out but don't kid yourself that you didn't vote for "evil". You just voted for the lesser of three evils....or four...or insert whatever the heck number you want to here. Everybody's a sinner. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh you did it. #politics
    I'm with you: VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to vote and leave all the consequences up to God!

    ReplyDelete