Monday, April 27, 2015

Let Us Be Elegant or Die

One of the reasons I chose to indulge myself with Little Women is because it keeps me laughing the whole way through. (It also keeps me crying, but let's not get into that right now.) This quote in particular tickles me:
"Meg's high-heeled slippers were dreadfully tight, and hurt her, though she would not own it, and Jo's nineteen hair-pins all seemed stuck straight into her head, which was not exactly comfortable; but, dear me, let us be elegant or die."
From chapter 3 ("The Laurence Boy") on page 35. 

This quote makes me giggle, and even though it's written with perhaps a hint of irony, it's true isn't it? My mind immediately went to movies like Cinderella (starring Brandy) in which Bernadette Peters cries out to her two stepdaughters, "Beauty knows no pain, girls!" or Bride Wars (starring Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway) where the attentive sales attendant oh-so-helpfully tells Liv, "Just be careful of any pre-wedding weight gain. You don't alter Vera to fit you, you alter yourself to fit Vera."

In today's culture, so much emphasis is placed on how you look, how you dress, and how you carry yourself. And I'm all about keeping my appearance neat, putting my best foot forward, and even getting dolled up occasionally. But I think it's vital to remember what's really important:

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel--rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."
-1 Peter 3:3-4 (NKJV)

"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised."
-Proverbs 31:30

But dear me, let us be elegant or die!
My Bridal Portrait
(arguably the most elegant I will ever be in my life)

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh go on. =) I wish I could come with Mom to visit you this weekend.

      Delete
  2. so much I could say here. you are arguably the prettiest bride ever!! I hope I have instilled some elegance in you. Remember my motto - "simplicity is elegance". I am also learning that we can be more elegant if we are comfortable. So d--- the pain of tight high heels, get yourself some Aerosoles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I love you. You are the most elegant woman I know.

      Delete
  3. I love everything about your mom's comment, Hannah. I just love your family :) that quote made me giggle. Also, let's be elegant together soon. Or just hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure cramming our faces with Ben & Jerry's is the height of elegance--not lying. So we should probably do that soon.

      Delete