Monday, September 25, 2017

Let's Bust a Recap : Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Well, this was my first experience with Thomas Hardy, and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. This novel was chock-full of ups and downs starting in the very first chapter.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (who primarily regarded himself as a poet though he authored nearly 20 novels and numerous short stories) was first published serially in a censored version in 1891 and then in a more complete book form in 1892. It was pretty controversial at the time it was published (in fact, it was initially refused publication, hence, the censored version when it was serially published) because it challenged the social and sexual mores of late Victorian England. It's now considered Hardy's fictional masterpiece. I hope I didn't peak too soon with Hardy--I have 3 more novels of his on my shelf and at least 1 more besides the 4 I own on my Life List of Books to Read Before I Die. 

The book is made up of 59 chapters divided into 7 phases, and my particular copy was 465 pages, all of which I eagerly marathon-ed, though I did slow down a bit between phases 5 and 6 just to ramp it back up at the end of phase 6 and sprint through the finish. 

At the beginning of the novel, we are introduced to the impoverished but beautiful Tess Durbeyfield who is the oldest child of a whole posse of kids born to an alcoholic, good-for-nothing father and an irresponsible, devil-may-care mother. In chapter one, the Durbeyfields learn that they are descended from the wealthy, noble line of the d'Urbervilles which gives Pa Durbeyfield just one more excuse to laze around and not work--because he's too good for it. He and Ma send sweet Tess to a well-to-do family named d'Urberville a few towns over so she can claim kin and hopefully start milking the cash cow. But these d'Urbervilles are not actually related to them in any way, and the odious young Alec d'Urberville ends up raping Tess resulting in a scandalized Tess returning home to have Alec's baby and live in shame for the rest of her life. 

Will Tess ever be able to get past this horrible crime committed against her and find love? Would it even be right for her to presume to marry after her sordid past? And does Alec d'Urberville ever get what's coming to him? You'll find out if you read the novel. (Or if you come ask me, because boy, will I talk your ear off about it as my husband will attest.)

Taking the whole novel into account, I'd use the words "tragic" and "depressing" to describe Tess of the D'Urbervilles. However, I have to admit, I'm eager to read more of Hardy's work. I was outraged at Alec's appalling behavior toward Tess; I agonized with Tess over difficult decisions she was faced with throughout the book; I was alternately giddy, indignant, delighted, and shocked. Any author who can so involve my emotions with their writing wins my respect and my recommendation. I would definitely say that Tess of the D'Urbervilles is worth your time though it's not exactly light reading and I wouldn't recommend it if you're in need of a pick-me-up kinda read. It is perfect for October if you're wanting a more dark, gloomy read though so go grab a copy if you're looking for the perfect novel for the month of pumpkins and witches.  

Have you read Tess of the D'Urbervilles or anything else by Thomas Hardy? What do you think of his writing? The other 3 novels I have by Hardy are Far from the Madding Crowd, The Return of the Native, and Jude the Obscure, and I'd like to add The Mayor of Casterbridge to my collection at some point. Which one should be on next year's book list? 

4 comments:

  1. I am almost to page 100 of my copy of the book (which I won in one of your book giveaways - HOLLER!), and so far, it is slow-going. I have no idea how you marathoned this book, because there are wayyyy too many paragraphs to read before you actually get to something happening - or maybe this kind of writing is just too over-my-head. I don't know. But I press on. I'm more invested than I was in the Three Musketeers, so that's a plus. I think the reason I'm pressing on until the end is SO I can see if Alec gets what's coming to him. And the fact that he smokes a cigar and is mustachioed...well, that's saying something about his character already, amiright? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep going. On one particular day, I sat and read from chapter 22 to chapter 38. I definitely want to hear your reactions as the book goes on. :)

      Delete
  2. This book has been on my radar, but hasn't made it onto my list yet. It does have a chapter in Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me by Karen Swallow Prior, and LU English prof whose analysis is amazing, so I'll probably get to it eventually. I've read a few of Hardy's poems, but not his novels yet. I've heard of the other three you mention, and I know Far from the Madding Crowd had a movie adaptation recently, but I'm no help as to what you should read next.

    I'm making some slow progress through Gulliver's Travels, so that's something. I binged two Francine Rivers books this month and have no regrets on that. I might read The Hiding Place in October. My list keeps shifting, so it kind of defeats the purpose. Lol. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few friends tell me Far From the Madding Crowd is their favorite Hardy, so I might save that one for last.

      Which Francine Rivers books did you read?? I think I might re-read Redeeming Love before the end of the year. It's been a long time since I've read it. :) I definitely support reading The Hiding Place sooner rather than later!

      Delete