Wednesday, September 27, 2017

A Word for Wednesday

"We often pity the poor, because they have no leisure to mourn their departed relatives, and necessity obliges them to labour through their severest afflictions; but is not active employment the best remedy for overwhelming sorrow...the surest antidote for despair? It may be a rough comforter: it may seem hard to be harassed with the cares of life when we have no relish for its enjoyments, to be goaded to labour when the heart is ready to break, and the vexed spirit implores for rest only to weep in silence; but is not labour better than the rest we covet? and are not those petty, tormenting cares less hurtful than a continual brooding over the great affliction that oppresses us?"

~from Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë~

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about this one. I agree, but don't. But do. Augh! This would be a discussion topic for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I think it's important not to wallow in grief. But I also think it's appropriate to allow yourself to grieve instead of stuffing it.

      And that's exactly the point of these Wednesday posts! I post quotes sometimes because I agree with them, sometimes because they're beautiful, sometimes because they really provoked me to think, sometimes because I'm not sure I agree with them: all to prompt discussion! :)

      Delete