Monday, February 13, 2017

Let's Bust a Recap : Jo's Boys

Ah, sadly we have come to the end of our Little Women trilogy. To tell the truth, I kindof just want to forget my book list, and start this set over again. Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys are the absolute sweetest, most wholesome, heartwarming-est books you'll ever read, and I really appreciate how moral and innocent they are. While Little Women has long been a favorite of mine, I have only just completely read Little Men and Jo's Boys for the first time over the past year, but this little trilogy has claimed a corner of my heart, and I will most definitely be revisiting it in future. 

Jo's Boys was published in 1886 and in it, we get to peek back in on life at Plumfield one final time as Louisa May Alcott definitively ends this delightful series. Jo's Boys opens ten years after the close of Little Men, and Plumfield has grown into a thriving co-ed college where we get to catch up with and learn how our favorite boys (and girls, too!) have turned out. 

As with Little Women and Little Men, I couldn't make it through Jo's Boys without my fair share of chuckling and blubbering. My heart ached for the young men struggling through hard life lessons, and soared with the triumphs of others conquering their temptations and discovering love. Louisa May Alcott certainly had the literary genius, in my opinion. These books are a grand-slam. 

What else can I say really? I would recommend this series without reservation to any person, young or old, boy or girl, avid reader or reluctant skimmer. These books have won an uncontested place among my all-time favorites, and it is a crying shame they're not more accessible in book stores. I hunted high and low for Little Men and Jo's Boys in several major bookstores in my area and finally had to resort to ordering them online. You should definitely add them to your collection before they're entirely obsolete. 

Have you read anything by Louisa May Alcott? What books rank in your all-time favorites? Do you get emotional when you read certain favorites or are you stoic and phlegmatic at all times? 

**Today is the last day to enter the giveaway I've got going right now, so don't miss out! Winners will be announced tomorrow morning at the top of the giveaway postGood luck!**

6 comments:

  1. I wants to read them! I've only ever read Little Women, and I loved the Jo storyline, so I think I'd love the sequels as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know anytime you'd like to borrow them! They're so wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Oh I adore these books.
    So many nostalgic memories of curling up with one or more of these as a kid.
    Firesides & moonlight through the window.
    lovelovelove that you read them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how difficult it was to actually find them! It makes me sad for the next generation.

      Delete
  3. while i was never a fan of the story of "little women" as a whole, i've always been fascinated by the character of Jo. it makes sense to me that her story would continue past the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Little Women isn't so much of a "story" as it is a collection of little episodes from their lives, and the style is the same in Little Men and Jo's Boys. I think novels like that are harder for boys to get into because they're not plot-driven. But I think you would enjoy Jo's Boys--particularly Dan's story. I also think you would find it interesting how Jo's and Laurie's relationship continues. He is her boy forever even though he married Amy and she married Professor Bhaer.

      Delete