Monday, March 26, 2018

Let's Bust a Recap : The Masterpiece

Well. I've read yet another book that was not on my 2018 book list. But you know what: I finished a presidential biography this month and I'm plugging away pretty steadily at Anna Karenina and I have completed 6 whole books from my original list so who cares? Of course I'm going to ditch my list when one of my favorite authors publishes a brand new book. I'm just proud of myself for even holding out long enough to finish J.Mad while this gem was sitting on my shelf waiting for me. So there. 

That being said, let's talk about Francine Rivers' newest book The Masterpiece which was just published last month. In this novel, we meet Roman Velasco and Grace Moore: two people who couldn't be more different from one another....or so we think. Velasco is a troubled artist, and Grace is a young, single mom trying to get her life together enough to raise her son. Throughout the book, we get glimpses into their childhoods and learn about the events that brought them to where they are today. This story deals with abandonment, loss, anger, redemption, and the power that God has over the darkness. 

I loved it.

Francine Rivers was inducted into the Romance Writers' of America Hall of Fame in 1997 so let's not kid ourselves: I knew where the story was heading. But that didn't make it any less of a pleasure to read. I couldn't put this novel down until I was done with it, and I finished the almost 500 page story in less than 3 days (I mean, I still had to cook dinner and do my job, you guys, I'm not a wizard). I especially appreciated how Rivers dealt with a very difficult and unpopular subject: Hell. She did not shy away from the very real existence of a place of eternal damnation and even included a note in the book making a point to say that although God's love is real, so is His holiness and righteousness. Believing in or talking about Hell is certainly not in vogue in our believe-your-own-truth and everybody-goes-to-Heaven society. But God is just and if you reject Him, you will spend eternity separated from Him. 

I would definitely recommend this book, as I would all Francine Rivers' books. I've yet to read one that didn't suck me in. (Though if we're being completely honest, the Sons of Encouragement series rank last and The Atonement Child and the Mark of the Lion series are my favs.) While these books are certainly Christian and I personally don't think Francine Rivers crosses any lines in her writing, her books deal with some tough subjects and are most definitely written for adults so if you happen to be younger than 18 and reading this post, maybe check with your mom before reading one. I know I started reading Rivers' novels in high school, but I suppose not every parent would want their kids reading this until they reached a certain age. 

Two thumbs up, all the stars, and whatever other positive rating indications I can give to The Masterpiece. Can't wait for your next book, Ms. Francine!

Have you read anything by Francine Rivers? What is your favorite book by her? Least favorite? The only title I haven't read by her is her non-fiction devotional entitled Earth Psalms. Have any of you read that one? What did you think of it?

4 comments:

  1. I've read Mark of the Lion, Redeeming Love, the Last Sin Eater, and Atonement Child. Started Bridge to Haven, but didn't get far. I've read the first two books of Mark of the Lion twice...and ridiculously quickly both times, but it's hard to choose a favorite. The Last Sin Eater was ok, but didn't resonate with me as much. I've wanted to read several of her other books, but I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Last Sin Eater was definitely more challenging than her others because of how different it is. I would highly encourage you to read her Marta's Legacy books next. It's a two-book series spanning 5 generations of women in the same family. I could not put them down.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE MARK OF THE LION AND REDEEMING LOVE!!!! AHHHHHH! Need to read the others though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read The Atonement Child immediately. I cannot believe you haven't read it.

      Delete