Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A Word for Wednesday

"I think her parents gave her the only right and fitting name that could possibly be given her," said Anne. "If they had been so blind as to name her Elizabeth or Nellie or Muriel she must have been called Lavendar just the same, I think. It's so suggestive of sweetness and old-fashioned graces and 'silk attire.' Now, my name just smacks of bread and butter, patchwork and chores."

"Oh I don't think so," said Diana. "Anne seems to me real stately and like a queen. But I'd like Kerrenhappuch if it happened to be your name. I think people make their names nice or ugly just by what they are themselves. I can't bear Josie or Gertie for names now but before I knew the Pye girls I thought them real pretty."

"That's a lovely idea, Diana," said Anne enthusiastically. "Living so that you beautify your name, even if it wasn't beautiful to begin with...making it stand in people's thoughts for something so lovely and pleasant that they never think of it by itself."

~Anne Shirley & Diana Barry on names in Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery~

2 comments:

  1. So true. I've met plenty of Christinas that were gag city. But I like to think I make the name "Christina" a pretty name for people who know me. And after knowing you, I love the name "Hannah" so much more <3

    ReplyDelete