Monday, February 19, 2018

Let's Bust a Recap : Outrageous Grace

Wow. I'm a bit awestruck after reading this beautiful book. Outrageous Grace is the true story of Edmund and Grace Fabian who traveled to Papua New Guinea on Christmas Day in 1969 to begin the difficult work of learning the Nabak language and translating God's Word for the Nabak people. In their many years there, they not only learned this complicated language, they created an alphabet for it and translated the New Testament into Nabak. In Outrageous Grace, Mrs. Fabian tells their story. 
As if learning an unwritten language in the middle of a jungle thousands of miles away from family while growing their own young family wasn't outrageous enough, on April 29, 1993, a little over 23 years into their time in Papua New Guinea, Edmund Fabian was brutally murdered. And by God's grace, amidst threats of violence and senseless hostility, Grace Fabian stayed and finished the work. 

I don't even know what else to say. Reading this book was challenging and humbling. Grace Fabian is just a person like anyone else, but God used her in mighty and powerful ways. Her faithfulness to Him is inspiring, and her sacrificial love for the Nabak people is staggering. 

As a book, Outrageous Grace was so readable. Mrs. Fabian's writing is just real. Her stories are engaging and exciting. The beautifully profound object lessons sprinkled throughout the book of faith, love, and grace will have me coming back to it for sure. The challenge to serve God with my talents and follow wherever He leads is clear and prominent and worthwhile. Reading books like this one or The Hiding Place or I Believed in 'Issa, I Met Jesus are highly profitable and stimulate me to love and good works. What an immeasurable blessing to be surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses


And BONUS: Grace Fabian will be sharing her testimony (and signing books!) at my very own church this upcoming weekend at our annual missions conference. Not only do you need to read this book, you should definitely come and hear Mrs. Fabian speak. You will most certainly be blessed by her testimony and afterwards, we're even having a Foreign Food Fellowship where you can sample food from around the globe. If you live in Central Florida (or even if you don't but feel like traveling), I invite you to join us. Mrs. Fabian will be speaking Sunday  night (February 25th) at 6:00. For the rest of the conference details, click on this handy link I've provided to my church's website. Hope to see you there.



Whose example inspires you to run the race well? What books have impacted your life and faith? If you are interested in buying your own copy of this book, my church still has a few for sale (so come on by!) or you can find it here or here

15 comments:

  1. your list this year has intrigued me more than the last couple. i'm gonna have to borrow some books from you next time i'm home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. What intrigues you about it more than any of the others I've made? And when exactly is the next time you'll be home?? ;)

      Delete
  2. I wanted to read this before this coming weekend, but kept forgetting to buy it! Ugh! Maybe they will have some at the conference and I can get one then! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at our last missions committee meeting, they said there were 8 left. If not, you can borrow mine after Dakota's done with it!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's so good!! And powerful. Man oh man. Let me know how you like it!

      P.S. I'm planning to read Twelfth Night this week. Have you read it yet?

      Delete
  4. It's been a long time since I've read a book like this. But your summary has me wanting to read it! And I can't wait to hear her speak on Sunday night :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just started reading it. Oh. My. Word. I can't put it down. You're Dad was so right when he said you wouldn't be able to!! The first chapter, bam. I couldn't believe what I was reading. What a lady. I can't wait to read the rest, I know I'll be crying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just started reading it. Oh. My. Word. I can't put it down. You're Dad was so right when he said you wouldn't be able to!! The first chapter, bam. I couldn't believe what I was reading. What a lady. I can't wait to read the rest, I know I'll be crying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just started reading it. Oh. My. Word. I can't put it down. You're Dad was so right when he said you wouldn't be able to!! The first chapter, bam. I couldn't believe what I was reading. What a lady. I can't wait to read the rest, I know I'll be crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I thought I would be prepared emotionally for her testimony in church since I read it beforehand, but nope. I was bawling. Particularly when she put those shoes on the platform. What an amazing woman.

      Delete
    2. She really is. We serve an amazing God :)

      Delete