Thursday, December 31, 2015

Let's Bust A Recap : 2015

Well, it is New Years Eve and sad to say, I still have 126 pages to go in TR. It just ain't gonna happen, folks. But let's take today to focus on what I did accomplish, shall we?
My original list consisted of 30 books. I ended up reading 13 books this year. 5 of those 13 were not even on the original list. So apparently, I was a little too ambitious for my own good. But I'm pretty happy with what I accomplished. There were some pretty serious reads in there. Let me remind you:

Persuasion by Jane Austen : completed 1/12
This was a re-read and not on my original list. But in my mind, I substituted this for Sense & Sensibility which was on the original list.

I had three works by Shakespeare on my original list and this was probably the shortest of the three, but I'm feeling pretty good about being able to say I read anything by Shakespeare this year. I mean, did any of you read any Shakespeare this year? 

This was definitely one of those "serious reads" I was talking about. When I finished this one, I remember thinking that if I read nothing else this year, I'd still be pretty proud of myself for making it through this one.

Definitely a re-read and definitely a comfort read. I love Little Women. I certainly needed this after finishing up Vanity Fair.

Another re-read, but somehow, it felt like the first time. This might have been my favorite read for the year.

Probably my most unexpected read for the year. This book was not even on my radar, and I kindof happened upon it totally accidentally, but I'm so glad I did. Also, I felt very current reading this book seeing as most of the books on my list are forever old.

One of my least favorite reads of the year. Probably in future, I will just refer back to my recap of it for the quotes that really stood out to me. Or I'll only read the final chapter.

Um, do I need to say anything about this one? It was everything I wanted it to be. Technically, this wasn't on my original list, but really, it was. I just didn't know what the name was going to be, so I couldn't exactly write it down. I can't wait for the next one in the series. (Not pictured above because it's out on loan, of course.)

I'm giving this one the Most Emotional Read award. Even though it was a re-read, it's just so special reading about your own family.

Another of my favorite authors and she definitely did not disappoint with this one. It might have been my favorite from the Sons of Encouragement series....okay so maybe Jonathan was my real favorite....or Caleb. Okay fine, I can tell you with certainty that Aaron and Amos were definitely NOT my favorites. So there.

For sure the worst thing I read this year. How depressing. I will never read this book again.

Think Dog! by John Fisher : completed 9/5
This was probably the most practical thing I read this year. It definitely helped us in our dog-ownership and hello, we got another dog after we read it. So....

For sure the coolest thing I read this year because MY BEST FRIEND WROTE IT! It's not pictured above because I don't have a physical copy yet, but you better believe it's on its way!

So there you have it. I also read through the New American Standard Bible this year which, truly, is the best reading accomplishment there is. I try to read through the whole Bible on odd years, and I just finished yesterday--a whole day early. I think I underestimated how that would affect the rest of my reading for the year. I also wasn't anticipating two dogs which I'm most assuredly factoring in to this equation. 

All in all, I think my first year with a legitimate book list went well. I read 9 books that I had never read before, and I now have a more accurate way to gauge how many books I should put on future book lists. Speaking of which, I'll be posting my 2016 Book List soon so stay tuned and Happy New Years Eve!

Did you complete any reading goals this year? How about 2015 resolutions? What are some of your resolutions for the coming year?

14 comments:

  1. First of all, I feel so accomplished to have made the list - yay! Second of all, you are so awesome for having read through the Bible this year - good for you! My goals for 2016:
    1) Lose 30 pounds (at least).
    2) Write 4 books (at a minimum).
    3) Read through the Chronological Bible I bought :)
    I'm excited. And I should also keep a list of books I read during the year. I know I at least read 13, because I read 12 in the Jackie Faber series and I read a Liz Curtis Higgs book yesterday, but I can't remember the other ones I read at the moment. I'm reading Inkheart right now... even though I'm supposed to be baking :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thank you!

      Wow! Big goals! But great ones, and totally attainable. Also, definitely measurable which (in my opinion) are the best kind.

      I want to read through a chronological Bible someday, but I'd like to find a nice leather-bound one. All the ones I've ever seen are straight-up hardcover. Not my favorite. I think next year (2017) I want to read either the ESV or the Holman. I've read NIV, NKJV, NLT, and NASB.

      P.S. I'm totally supposed to be baking, too! Thanks for the reminder because I had completely forgotten.

      Delete
    2. I've lost about -5 pounds so far.
      Also, I've written about 0.2 books so far.
      And I've read about 1/6 of the Bible so far.

      #nailedit

      Delete
    3. You still have more than half the year left.
      #youcanstilldoitall

      Delete
    4. Okay, you need to get on the ball at least on your writing goal so that you can be on my year's end recap again. #TeamHarkness #5wholemonthsleft #youcandoit

      Delete
    5. Haha I am horrible at meeting goals. But I'm working to get back on the Harkness train!

      Delete
  2. Hey girl hey.
    I love that you bust the recaps.
    Also I am so proud. Your list is way impressive.
    Oakie & I finished the book challenge a week early, but we went way easy. I'm already excited to start reading in the new year. Challenge: read all the books I brought to Japan that I own but have never read...and maybe some Shakespeare ;)
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know how "impressive" my results were, but I'm happy with what I did. =)

      You guys are amazing. Even with taking it easy, 53 books is for sure impressive. I wonder if I kept track of all the kids books I constantly read how many my list would total at years' end.

      So I need to know, how many books did you bring to Japan that you've never read? I'd like to see an actual list. Also, whenever you're ready for me to send you any books, hit me up girl!

      Love you back!

      Delete
  3. Do you have an organized plan for Bible reading in even years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it "organized", but yes, I make a more personalized plan for even years while in the odd years I stick to a stricter, straight-through reading schedule. =)

      Delete
  4. Nice! So freakin proud. I better see TR on the next post here in a second...

    So happy my book recommendation made the list! (Think Dog) I know technically Cody made you read it, but I take credit since I introduced him to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely partially credit you with my reading of Think Dog! and I would pretty much wholly credit you with the fact that The Last of the Mohicans is on this year's list. You da best!

      Delete
  5. Also, Of Mice and Men IS the worst. I tried to warn you.

    ReplyDelete