Monday, July 5, 2021

Let's Bust a Recap : Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La

Y'all know I can't make it through a year without reading something by Robin Jones Gunn. In fact, I took a look back through all the year-end recaps I've posted since I started keeping a record of books I read and blogging about it, and in 2017 I read seven of her books. 

First up for 2021 was Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La, and (no big surprise here) it was a delight. I've slowly been making my way through the Sisterchicks books since 2017, only reading one each year, and this is the fifth one that I've read. The Sisterchicks books are the last of Robin Jones Gunn's novels that I haven't read, and I've only got three left. 

Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La was published in 2005 and in it we find childhood friends Amy and Lisa fulfilling a 30 year old promise to each other on the trip of a lifetime to the City of Lights. The book is chock-full of all the signature adventures Robin's characters find themselves in on these international trips. From getting their luggage stolen—and returned!—by a con man, to searching out old friends of Amy's Grandmére, to climbing the Eiffel Tower, Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La made me laugh and cry just as every other Sisterchicks book has done. After finishing it, I immediately bought a copy for my own childhood best friend because it reminded me of her and our relationship so much. 

I love how Robin can write a novel that remains faithful to real-life experience while still uplifting the reader and encouraging the heart. While I haven't found myself in all the same situations that Robin's characters encounter, I can always relate to their emotions and reactions. I often find myself nodding along in agreement or giggling conspiratorially with the sisterchick on the page. 

I'm sure with all the Robin Jones Gunn books I've recapped or mentioned over the last six years of blogging (and God bless all my real life friends who have to listen to me rave about them in person), I'm starting to sound like a broken record. But I am a tried-and-true fan, and I can't recommend her books enough. They are my go-to books when life gets too hard for me, and it is certainly no coincidence that I immediately picked one up after moving to NC. 

Who is your go-to author when life is too much? 

And P.S. my book is pictured with one of my favorite prints that I picked up from a street vendor on my own jaunt to Paris in 2008. 

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I’ve never read any of these! They sound fun! You know I was just thinking the other day I want to re-read the Glenbrooke series, I think I’ve only read (and own) the first 4 of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good! Maybe we should pick one for our sister book club in August. And I LOVE the Glenbrooke series (as you know perfectly well). I've read the first 5 twice and will probably the read the last 3 again before this year is over. 💛

      Delete