Friday, July 24, 2020

Let's Bust a Recap : James Herriot's Treasury for Children

Three blog posts in one week? Well that's a first for 2020. I read James Herriot's Treasury for Children aloud to the little boy I nanny over a couple weeks this month, and it was an absolute delight. 
James Herriot is actually the pen name of James Alfred Wight who was a British veterinary surgeon in Yorkshire where he practiced for almost 50 years. At the time, veterinary surgeons were discouraged from writing under their own names to avoid seeming like they were advertising for their practices. He was a big-time soccer fan and actually chose James Herriot as his pen name after seeing Scottish goalkeeper Jim Herriot play for Birmingham City F.C. in a televised game against Manchester United F.C.

His work is partially autobiographical including his eight books for children which have all been included in this treasury. Most of the stories set in the fictional town of Darrowby are based on real events he experienced in his time as a country vet. 

Wight also wrote a series for adults which were originally published in the UK and then collected into three omnibus volumes (All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful) and published in the US where they were wildly successful. My mom read and loved them as a teenager in the 70s (when they were published) and I actually have her old copies, though I have yet to read them. 

I was given a paperback copy of his children's book The Christmas Day Kitten when I was very young and always loved the sweet story and beautiful illustrations, so when this treasury caught my eye a year or two ago in my Friends of the Library bookstore, I had to have it (especially when I realized they priced it at only $2!).

As it turns out, all his stories are just as sweet as The Christmas Day Kitten (which is one of the eight included in this treasury) and I actually ended up loving some of the other stories even more. The little boy I nanny loved Moses the Kitten best and every day wanted to read about the tiny black kitten that thought he was a piglet. I loved all the stories but especially Bonny's Big Day and Blossom Comes Home. Possibly my favorite aspect of this treasury are the beautiful illustrations by Ruth Brown. (Peter Barrett illustrated two of the eight stories and his illustrations are also wonderful, but Ruth Brown's were definitely my favorite.)

I would highly recommend James Herriot's Treasury for Children particularly if you're an animal lover or have kids who love animals. The stories are the perfect length for reading aloud (not too long that your kids lose interest but complete enough for you to enjoy with them) and—I have to say it again—the illustrations are lovely. 
Have you read anything (for children or grown-ups) by James Herriot? Who is one of your favorite illustrators? 

2 comments:

  1. Never read or heard of these books but you’ve definitely peaked my interest! One of my absolute favorites for the illustrations and story was The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy by Jane Thayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would LOVE these! And The Puppy Who Wanted A Boy sounds like something I need to read ASAP.

      Delete