Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Let's Bust a Recap : The Count of Monte Cristo

Well, the day has finally come. I'm going to try to put my thoughts together into a coherent post recapping The Count of Monte Cristo. I read this hunk of a novel last year, and it took me four solid months to do it. I started it at the beginning of June and made it to the end on the last day of September. When I finally finished it, I felt a bit lost. I had been reading it nearly every day for four months and was so fully wrapped up in the story that when it ended, I didn't quite know what to do with myself. 

I loved this story. Unlike The Three Musketeers by Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo hooked me from page one and nearly every single detail was vital to the plot. Most translated editions of The Count of Monte Cristo are abridged and after reading the unabridged version, I'm really not sure how. The only part of the book that I thought could have done with a bit of editing was Luigi Vampa's complicated backstory. But I digress.

The film adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo starring Jim Caviezel is one of my all time favorite movies and has been for several years. Up until last year, it was one of my secret bookish shames that I had never read the novel that inspired the movie. But have you seen the novel? It's huge. It definitely intimidated me. Because I've seen the movie approximately 534 times, and because I really invested a lot of time in reading the novel, I'm going to be comparing them and in doing so, I'll be discussing some major plot points that are definitely spoilers so if you don't want to know, this is your cue to exit. 

So for a quick overview: The Count of Monte Cristo is the story of Edmond Dantes' wrongful imprisonment (literally hours before his wedding to the beautiful Mercedes) and subsequent escape from the Chateau d'If. He then amasses an insane fortune that his prison mate the Abbe Faria told him the location of before his death, and then uses it to exact revenge on the three men (Fernand, Danglars, & Villefort) responsible for his incarceration.

The first major departure from the novel as depicted in the film is that the adaptation sets Edmond and Fernand up as best friends from the time they were young. In the film's version, Fernand is rich and privileged and jealous of Edmond's happiness despite his relative poverty. He's really eaten up over the fact that Mercedes is in love with Edmond, and ends up getting kind of roped into Danglars' plan to frame Edmond during a drunken fit.

In the novel, Edmond and Fernand do not give one flying rip about each other and Fernand is just as poor as Edmond but infatuated with Mercedes. He basically is just a tool of Danglars to frame Edmond, and, in my opinion, the least culpable of the three because he's just not very bright. 

Danglars is motivated to ruin Edmond because of his jealousy over Edmond's rapid success in their mutual career as merchant sailors. Danglars is the greediest, most ridiculous character of the novel and Dumas' portrayal of him is hilariously scathing. In the movie, Danglars really doesn't get much development past his initial involvement in the plot to sabotage Edmond, and that is truly a shame.

Villefort doesn't even know who Edmond is but when he recovers a letter Edmond was given by Napoleon Bonaparte addressed to Villefort's own father, he quickly destroys the letter and sentences Edmond to life in the Chateau d'If to protect his own political interests. This was actually portrayed perfectly in the film.

The thing that the film does not and could not possibly do is develop the multitude of characters and Edmond's meticulous and complicated plot of revenge. Or as he sees it, justice. Throughout the course of the novel, Edmond has several aliases and his revenge is a years long con on these men, much more than a matter of a few weeks or months as the movie might lead you to believe. He learns every intimate detail of their lives and their families' lives and employs all this information and his considerable fortune to bring each of these men to complete ruin. He drives Fernand to suicide after decimating his reputation, he bankrupts Danglars and has him begging for food which is the ultimate punishment for that sleazeball, and he literally drives Villefort insane in the most chilling and masterful plot of revenge I have ever heard of. 
four months : this book made it into a lot of photos
The novel obviously does a better job at developing the complexities of Edmond as well. As vicious and exacting as he is with the men who destroyed his life, he's as loving and solicitous of the people he deems worthy or feels indebted to. When his revenge is coming to the ultimate climax, he has to confront the fact that innocent people have been hurt as a result of his all-consuming crusade, and he wrestles with the morality of his actions. 

One thing I'll say: the movie and the novel both end somewhat abruptly each in their own ways, and to be honest, I don't necessarily prefer one over the other. Both endings play with their corresponding forms, but ultimately, they both leave me wanting more. 

Overall, I would highly recommend the book and the film. The novel is a masterpiece in its own right, and the movie is just plain good. Having been so intimately familiar with the movie gave me a good foundation with the major characters, and I really didn't have much trouble keeping everyone straight which seems to be the commonly held problem people have when reading the novel. The Count of Monte Cristo will certainly take an investment of your time to read, but in the end, I really think it's worth it.
Have you read The Count of Monte Cristo or seen the film starring Jim Caviezel? What book has taken you the biggest investment of time to read and was it worth it?

20 comments:

  1. For me, it was Les Mis. Haven't read a bigger book that's trumped it yet (& that's including Middlemarch!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those French guys sure were long-winded. (I think I might be able to finish Middlemarch this weekend!)

      Delete
    2. Also, do you remember how long it took you to read Les Mis? Someone told me there are exactly 365 chapters so you could read it in a year taking it at just a chapter a day.

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH IT LET ME POST MY COMMENT. THIS IS THE BEST DAY SO NOW I HAVE TO COMMENT TWICE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That was totally worth the wait, Hannah! So impressed with the way you not only read this doorstop of a book, but managed to collate these insights for us. I feel like I hear nothing but praise for The Count, but I still haven't been able to make the leap to pick it up for myself - you might just have tipped the scales, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheree! It was hard to gather my thoughts for this one. There are so many characters and stories going on it took me awhile to boil it down for this post. I hope you read it. It's a truly masterful novel, and I would love to see a KUWTP review! ;)

      Delete
  4. FIRST of all, it only took you four months to read it?! Dadgum! That is lightning! I have never read it that fast!
    Second, I am so glad it didn’t taint your love of the movie. I totally agree that both are amazing in their own right.
    Third, let’s talk about Fernand. I completely disagree that he is the least culpable. He is the MOST despicable because he was supposed to be a trusted friend. How could you completely destroy the happiness of the woman you “love” and still sleep at night? It’s the worst kind of crime.
    Fourth, wasn’t it a shock when you read the part about Villefort going mad? I literally jumped with the Count when I read that for the first time.

    What did you think about Albert?? I felt like he was such a huge part of the story and you didn’t even mention him. I would really like to know what you thought about his decisions at the end of the book for him and his mother. Or even his relationship with Mercédès. Having the Count wrestle with this part of his revenge was the best part of the book for me.

    Did you have anything you didn’t like besides how abrupt the end of the stories were? I agree they were too sharp. I felt so invested in all these characters that ending the story before finding out how the rest of their lives played out (especially Albert and Mercédès) was not enough. That was something I really liked about Tolstoy. He truly wrapped up his stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many times have you read it now? 4?

      Yeah, I still love the movie. It's almost like the book and the movie are two entirely separate entities.

      I think Fernand was the least culpable in regards to Edmond. His relationship with Mercedes is a whole 'nother thing.

      Yes, when Villefort went mad I was like "OH DANG" That was intense.

      There were so many characters it was hard to decide how into it I should take the recap. For instance, Maximilian and Valentine's story was one of my favorite parts of the whole novel. As for Albert, he was so silly at the beginning. I rolled my eyes at him A LOT. But it was very nice to see him grow up and do the honorable thing by him and his mother. I felt proud of him.

      Interesting you say that about Tolstoy. I've only read Anna Karenina but I felt that it ended abruptly as well. Maybe not quite as abruptly as The Count, but still.

      Delete
    2. I still think he was the worst in regards to Edmond. Mercedes was an extension of Edmond and Fernand was the catalyst for everything bad that happened. If he had even an ounce of integrity Edmond would not have gotten locked up and Mercedes would have had a great life. He deserved the revenge and the “judgement” the Count thought he was supposed to dole out for God.

      I was rolling my eyes too. Haha he was such a putz, especially compared to Franz. Which I felt like he (Franz) really falls out of the story after being the guy who dines with the Count in the grotto. The first time I read it I had to go back to the beginning of the book to make sure it was the same guy when he showed up as Valentine’s fiancé at the end.

      I haven’t ready Anna Karenina. But he really flushed out all the stories in War and Peace, which I think you would really enjoy.

      Yup 4 times.

      Delete
    3. I disagree. I think Danglars was the catalyst for everything bad that happened. And I even think Edmond focused the majority of his revenge on Danglars and Villefort because they were the more despicable of the three. I think Fernand was definitely a bad guy, and DEFINITELY did wrong by Mercedes. But in the book, he's not as bad as Danglars and Villefort who do everything from malicious self-interest as opposed to Fernand who does what he does out of a misguided and very selfish love for Mercedes. In the movie, they definitely make Fernand out to be the worst villain, but I just didn't see that in the book.

      Yeah, Franz did seem to be such a random character. It's like Dumas needed that foil for Maximilian and Valentine's romance, but he just didn't care to flesh him out as much as EVERY OTHER PERSON in the novel. Haha! I don't really blame him. There was so much going on.

      I would be very interested in your thoughts on Anna Karenina if you decide to read it. I am planning to read War and Peace, but my next Russian will probably be a Dostoevsky. I wanted to get to Crime and Punishment last year, but didn't make it.

      Four times. Dang. So how long does it take you to read it??

      Delete
  5. I love the movie. I started reading and quit reading the book when you generously pointed out that it was an abridged version (waste of time). I will most likely read it one day because I have also watched the movie 534 times and loved it. And the biggest investment of time I have made in a book (besides The Bible) would probably be The Yearling in 6th grade. I just remember thinking that book would never end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much more deeply developed in the book (most books are, but this is a wholenother level). I think we have watched the movie at least 476 times together. :)

      I've never read The Yearling, but I just got it for Christmas last year! It's on my LIFE LIST. Do you remember liking it or just thinking it was long and boring? 6th grade doesn't seem like the BEST year to require that one, but maybe that's just me??

      Delete
  6. Haha definitely together many times. It’s always a good idea. It’s one of those that I could watch almost anytime with anyone.

    I don’t remember much about it other than enjoying the animal/kid relationship. As you know, I’ve always been an animal lover so having a pet was incentive for me to read it. I don’t think it was required. I might’ve written a report on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. One of my favorite movies ever.

      Oh, nice! I have no idea when I'll ever get to it, but I also picked up a book at The Book Shelter recently by the same author. It's her memoir of living in the FL swamp. So I'll have to read those two together.

      Delete
  7. sometimes, for me, a lean-mean, meat and potatoes version of the story is for the better. that's true of this one, as well as LOTR.

    I'm inclined to agree with Oak, by the way. Villefort and Danglars were wretched yes, but Fernand was family to Mercedes, and he knowingly, irrevocably changed both her and Edmond's lives for the WORSE. that's a special kind of treachery and selfishness. Fernand is a VILLAIN in the truest sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you're looking it at from Mercedes' point of view: sure. Fernand's the worst. But from Edmond's point of view: really did you expect more from him? What he did was rotten, but unlike the movie, Fernand and Edmond weren't friends. He just wanted the girl. You know what I'm saying? Danglars wanted to actually ruin Edmond's life and Villefort literally sent him to die when he knew Edmond didn't do anything wrong. I just don't see Fernand being the worst of the three.

      Delete
    2. Also, let's not forget: Mercedes didn't HAVE to marry Fernand just because Edmond wasn't in the picture anymore. I think both of y'all have let her off waaaaay too easily. As far as I'm concerned, I think she would have been just as appropriate of a target for Edmond's vengeance than the three men who did him wrong. Yeah I said it.

      Delete
    3. fair points--I think this is where the movie edges out the book for me. the film provides a clear and much more urgent conflict for these three characters. Edmond and Fernand were BFFs so the betrayal is HUGELY more dramatic, and Mercedes was pregnant with Edmond's child when he was arrested, so she had to enter a marriage to save face. the film provides better/more compelling motivations for all three characters and ups the emotional stakes in a more satisfying narrative way. my vote is for the movie. and to your last point, I also like how in the movie Edmond originally sets out to have revenge on Mercedes for marrying Fernand, but she proves that her heart still belonged to Edmond even after all those years and his perspective/motivation shifts. yeah...I'm for the movie.

      Delete
    4. I mean, like I said: I still love the movie but the book is a true masterpiece. I do agree that making the creative choice to make Fernand and Edmond best friends and to make Albert Edmond's son instead of Fernand's ups the drama for sure. (Also, I was waiting for like 71% of the book to find out that Albert was Edmond's son because I was so sure that had to be part of it. 😂)

      Delete