Thursday, September 20, 2018

Let's Bust a Recap : The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth is characterized as a children's fantasy adventure novel and was published in 1961. Norton Juster wrote it, Jules Feiffer illustrated it, and it is just charming. I can't believe I escaped my childhood without ever reading this delightful book. Critics have compared its appeal to that of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and while I still haven't read about Alice (mental note to put Carroll on my 2019 book list), I did read The Wizard of Oz this year, and I would definitely agree with the critics: I loved The Phantom Tollbooth. 

In this story we meet Milo, a little boy who is just too bored with everything. One day after school, he receives a mysterious tollbooth with a map. He, of course, has nothing better to do, so he hops in his toy car and is on his way to Dictionopolis. He soon finds himself on an adventure with Tock the literal Watchdog and the Humbug to rescue the princesses Rhyme and Reason so they can restore the Kingdom of Wisdom to its former glory. 

Y'all. This book is smart as a whip and an absolute pleasure to read. The puns and wordplay throughout the story will keep you grinning. (For example, Milo unexpectedly finds himself on the island of Conclusions when he accidentally jumps there. Come on now.) On top of that, the biggest theme of this book is one of a love for learning. It encourages curiosity and imagination and an appreciation for the world around us. Sign me up.

If you've never read this book, you should. And if you have kids coming along, this book definitely needs to be on your radar. It is both fun and smart and that's the best kind of book. 

Have you read The Phantom Tollbooth? What were the books that first made you fall in love with reading? What books from your childhood are still on your list of favorites today?

5 comments:

  1. What age do you think could read it? 3rd grade? Should I read it out loud to Addyson? I’m considering reading Anne to her soon....😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne!! I hope she loves Anne!

      I think you could probably read it aloud to her this year and she would like it, but she might get more into it and understand the humor more around age 9 or 10.

      Delete
  2. 100% agreed. What was your favorite part of the book. Least favorite? I also want to know what you thought about all the characters. We should definitely have a best friend day and talk about it. Among other things (eat Ben & Jerry's and watch chick flicks).

    ReplyDelete