Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Let's Bust a Recap : To Kill A Mockingbird

Yesterday I finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. You guys. I can't believe I had never read this book before! I've never heard somebody say they didn't like it, and now I know why. What a phenomenal novel. I don't really know where to start so I'ma just copy the blurb off the back of the book. (Usually, I'm against reading the back of a book, but this one is pretty good and especially vague on actual details so I'm down with it.)

"One of the best loved stories of all time, To Kill A Mockingbird has been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than forty million copies worldwide, served as the basis for an enormously popular motion picture, and was voted one of the best novels of the twentieth century by librarians across the country. A gripping, heart-wrenching, and wholly remarkable coming-of-age tale in a South poisoned by virulent prejudice, it views a world of great beauty and savage inequities through the eyes of a young girl, as her father--a crusading local lawyer--risks everything to defend a black man unjustly accused of a terrible crime."

I would highly recommend this book. I couldn't put it down. The way Harper Lee tied this story together from beginning to end was masterful. I laughed. I cried. I got angry. I was touched. Her characters were all convincingly believable. I could relate to Scout's Southern upbringing. I loved the relationship the children had with their father Atticus and the wisdom Atticus imparted to his children. And I was so impressed with how Lee brought everything together at the end of the story. There were times throughout the book that I wondered why this was such a central part of the plot when it seemingly had nothing to do with that obviously bigger aspect, but at the end, it all was wrapped up into one beautiful package of a novel.

If you've never read To Kill A Mockingbird, you're missing out. I would advise that if you're younger than...14 maybe?...or if you're a parent and want your child to read it, that you be deliberate about discussing the book together as it deals with some pretty tough issues and uses terms typical of the 1930s that are not acceptable today. I mean, the book is about the prejudices between white people and black people: do the math there. But having said that, I would encourage any parents to read this book with their children when said children are at an age to have some of those difficult conversations as I think it would create a wonderful opportunity to open up some lines of communication for those hard topics.

Now, having given my little recap and recommendation, I have a question. Has anyone read the sequel that was recently released and should I read it? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, and having finally read To Kill A Mockingbird, I can understand the apprehension. I would hate to have any of the characters tainted in any way, particularly Atticus. I'm intrigued to follow up with these characters 20 years later (I think that's when Go Set A Watchman is set), but if they're all bitter and don't have healthy relationships with one another, I might just want to leave it well enough alone. Thoughts? 

15 comments:

  1. Excellent book. Glad you enjoyed it. I too am apprehensive about reading Go Set a Watchman, Atticus is one of my favorite literary characters and I wouldn't want anything ruined. I've chosen to avoid the sequel indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reagan really wants me to read the sequel so we can talk about it, but I just don't know.

      Delete
  2. I love that book!!!!! You should watch the movie now with Gregory Peck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read it, but I do own it! Maybe next years reading list!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! Definitely worthy of its Pulitzer Prize.

      Delete
  4. I have read it, and I liked it with reservations. Mockingbird is that idealistic view of parents, very black and white (no pun intended). Watchman is that realistic view that your parents are people just like you and not meant for a pedestal. Both are great, but I don't see myself rereading Watchman like I did Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. Interesting. So would you recommend Watchman to get the rest of the story? Or is it something I could live without reading?

      Delete
  5. Please reserve the book for me to take on my trip to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better read most of it before you get here and bring another book because I might want to read it while you're here. I mean after that glowing review, how could I not?

      Delete
  6. Yes the movie is really good. I love it! I just found it on Netflix the other day! So now icdont need to buy it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, watch the movie. gregory peck owns. OWNS.

    and do, absolutely, read the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I had to read that book in school, but I can't remember. Now, Scarlet Letter...that's a book I will never forget. I really do need to read more classics...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely re-read To Kill A Mockingbird. It's so good. You can borrow it if you want.

      Delete