Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Oklahoma

Back in May of last year (I know what you're thinking: She's so on top of her blogging game. Thanks. I know.) we took a quick 4-day trip to the middle of the USA to see my amazing litter sister graduate from her flight training at Vance Air Force Base and receive her wings. 
If right now you're thinking, "Man, I'll never know anyone that cool or that pretty or that talented"...well, you're right. 

We flew into OKC on Thursday, May 30th and drove about an hour and a half to Clinton, OK to visit the Oklahoma Route 66 Museum. The sky in Oklahoma is big, the land is flat, and the roads are next to empty. You feel like you can see for miles and I loved driving there. We found the museum, and it's one of the cutest little spots I've ever seen.
We spent as long as we wanted going through the exhibits, and it was just as much fun as it was interesting and educational. I would definitely recommend a stop here if you're passing through and looking for something quick and fun to do.
As you make your way through the museum, the exhibits are set up by decades from the 20s to the 70s and it is retro and nostalgic and pure Americana.
Right next door to the museum, you can take a peek into this shoebox soda shop which popped up all along the Mother Road during the 50s and 60s. 

After we finished exploring the museum and buying all our Route 66 souvenirs, we stopped for lunch at a Braum's Ice Cream & Dairy Store (which I had never heard of but apparently there are almost 300 of them throughout Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas), and I had one of the biggest burgers I've ever eaten.
After we filled our bellies, we hit the road again to drive the 2 hours to Enid where my sister lives.
My mommy-in-law got to do this state with us!
The rest of the weekend was all about family and celebrating my awesome sister. And one of the craziest things ever is that the other guy in her class getting his wings was a boy I used to babysit when he was little. (Yes, I feel old, but also could not be any prouder.)
I mean, look at those two. Come on.
Oklahoma gets a bad rep for being boring, having nothing to do, and being in the middle of nowhere. A total flyover state and other such nonsense. But it will always be one of the most special states we've visited because we got to see my sister get her wings which is something she's been working towards for years. We're Vance Proud and we loved being in Enid, America.
Oklahoma : done.

8 comments:

  1. Great blog! Love the Hannahbelle and Sarah Beth pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just perfect. Loved loved loved this little post :) AND YOU! Only wish we could've been there too <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments are working—happy day!

      Wished you could have been there too.

      Delete
  3. Umm, when did your sister become a freaking MODEL?! Holy moly. I was mesmerized by that pic of her. This looked like a super fun trip :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! She's definitely the prettiest, coolest, smartest of us all. We're big fans.

      Delete
  4. Man I wish we could have been there!

    ReplyDelete