Monday, October 15, 2018

Let's Bust a Recap : Mere Christianity

Mere Christianity began as a series of radio talks C.S. Lewis gave during World War II while he was at Oxford. He was invited to give these talks by James Welch, the BBC Director of Religious Broadcasting, after he read Lewis' book The Problem of Pain (which I have not read yet but it's a strong contender for my 2019 book list). The talks were gradually published in three separate pamphlets entitled Broadcast Talks (in 1942), Christian Behaviour (in 1943), and Beyond Personality (in 1944). Later, all these talks were put into the single volume we now know as Mere Christianity, easily one of the most influential theological works of the last century. In these talks, Lewis succeeded in defending Christianity and explaining its fundamental beliefs. He chose to avoid denominational controversies and focused instead on what core beliefs all Christians have in common. 

This was my first time actually reading the complete book, cover to cover. I've started it several times (there was still a bookmark in there from a previous attempt). I've read excerpts, quotes, even full essays. But this was the first time I started from the beginning and read to the end. And, unsurprisingly, I found Mere Christianity to be an invaluable resource. Lewis was the master apologist, and it never ceases to amaze me how he could use the most mundane objects or activities in the most beautiful and helpful spiritual analogies. Lewis wrote for every man, and that is what makes his writing so profound. He wrote for the bricklayer and the philosopher, the ditch-digger and the intellect. As I was reading Mere Christianity, it was clear, it made sense, it seemed simple. And yet I know that if I tried to articulate or defend my beliefs in the way that Lewis did, I would trip over my tongue. Reading books like Mere Christianity make me thankful for men and women like C.S. Lewis who broaden my understanding of spiritual matters and give me resources I can pass on to others. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, and, much like The Weight of Glory, this book instantly earned a spot on my "To Re-Read Again and Again" list. 

What's your favorite non-fictional work of C.S. Lewis? I've still got a ways to go, but what should come next? As mentioned above, I'm really leaning toward The Problem of Pain but how do I choose?

10 comments:

  1. Mere Christianity is one of the greatest books I have ever read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been wanting to read this for years! I started once and couldn’t get into it because it was hard for me to digest. But I want to try again. This one AND Weight if Glory are on my definite “want to read” lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely recommend both! I think you will really appreciate Mere Christianity, buddy!

      Delete
  3. Yes! It's so good! The Screwtape Letters is fictional, but it's my go-to recommendation if you haven't read it. A Grief Observed is wonderful, but sad, and I really liked The Four Loves (the chapter on Friendship alone is worth it). The Problem of Pain and Miracles I've read once each. Miracles was heavier philosophically, but I enjoyed it more. I should probably give the Problem of Pain a re-read. I read it when I was young and hadn't experienced much pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read The Screwtape Letters several times! So good.

      The Four Loves was on the short list for this year, so maybe that one next year? I'm thinking about putting two on next year's list and just knocking out The Problem of Pain AND A Grief Observed since they go together in my mind. We'll see....

      Delete
  4. I only really realised a few years ago that the C.S. Lewis who wrote about spirituality and religion was the same C.S. Lewis who wrote the books I love as a kid (yep, I'm a bit slow on the uptake hahaha). I feel like Lewis's "grown up" books are having a bit of a resurgence lately, all of a sudden I'm seeing them everywhere! This is a great insight into this collection, so thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only assume you mean Narnia...I will always love those books!

      It's been kindof a life goal of mine to read a majority of his work and only since starting this blog have I really started chipping away at his non-fiction. I have a whole shelf to get through.

      Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  5. I feel like I already have this book, but I've never read it. I didn't realize how it was laid out. I'll definitely have to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really, really good. A must-read, in my opinion.

      Delete