Monday, January 29, 2018

Let's Bust a Recap : The Pearl

Back in 2015, I read my first Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men. And I was depressed for about a week afterwards. So I didn't put any Steinbeck on my book lists for the next two years. But this year, I decided it was time for another one, and I placed The Pearl on my 2018 list. It was also on the depressing side, but it ended on a semi-hopeful note (at least that's the way I've decided to look at it) so it was easier to stomach than Of Mice and Men was. 

The Pearl by John Steinbeck was first published in 1947. It's a short, 6-chapter, 90-page book and very easy to read. It very much reads like an old folk tale that's been passed down for generations in the oral tradition, and, in fact, Steinbeck was inspired by an old Mexican folk tale he heard on a trip to La Paz which used to be a very pearl-rich region. In it, we learn the story of the indigent pearl diver Kino who discovers the Pearl of the World. 

In The Pearl, Steinbeck explores themes of poverty, human greed, materialism, and "the inherent worth of a thing." He paints a heartbreaking picture of mankind: of the rich taking advantage of the poor, of the poor being trapped in their poverty by ignorance, of the hope a little wealth can bring but also of the all-consuming greed it can bring.

90 pages but they were heavy. Again, Steinbeck just made me sad. I have two more of his on my Life List (The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden), but it may be another 2 or 3 years before he makes it on another book list.

Short recap for a short book. Have you read The Pearl? Did you like it? Have you read anything else by Steinbeck? 

11 comments:

  1. I read this book for school a couple years ago and had to write a paper on it. ew. However, i did like it and i thought it was interesting. That is the only steinbeck book i have read, but i’m thinking about reading Of Mice and Men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book for school a couple years ago and had to write a paper on it. ew. However, i did like it and i thought it was interesting. That is the only steinbeck book i have read, but i’m thinking about reading Of Mice and Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of Mice and Men is soooo depressing. But it's also short and easy to read. Let me know what you think of it if you read it.

      Delete
  3. I read this one in high school, and I hardly remember it. I do remember it feeling like a downer, though. Grapes of Wrath was good, but, again, a bit of a downer. It also has a semi-hopeful ending though, so I guess it all works out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the thing I can appreciate about Steinbeck (so far) is that I really enjoy his actual writing. Even though his stories are sad, his writing is coherent and the plot flows naturally. I can picture it all in my head, and I'd rather feel sad than feel nothing at all or feel like I wasted my time reading his book. He's an excellent author, I just don't want to read him every single day.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...almost feeling like you reading these is enough for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely support that. There are so many better books you could spend your time on.

      Delete
  5. Of Mine and Men is the only Steinbeck that I’ve ever read, and I really didn’t like it. Just from your review, I don’t think that I will read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll probably never read it again. What are you currently reading?

      Delete
  6. i'm a huge fan of Steinbeck's shorter works. i appreciate his cynical take and the way he so matter-of-factly writes people. life's tough, and he's interested in the people it's toughest on. every once in awhile, i think it's good to take a look at life through a lens like that, if only as a powerful reminder of the Hope we have, and what a blessing it is to have it (cheesy). much love for Steinbeck; and i'd challenge you to read him more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Not cheesy.) But yeah, I think he's a great writer, and I'm not against reading more of him. Like I said, I intend to at least read Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden someday. But the more I read of him, the less of a priority it becomes for me to read more of him.

      Delete