Monday, June 19, 2017

Let's Bust a Recap : Emma

Well, I've gone rogue yet again. I have officially read more books that are not on my 2017 book list than ones that are. Sue me. After having all four of my wisdom teeth out, I needed a more medicinal read, if you will, so Emma it was. 

Emma is one of my favorites. I know, I know; I say that about all of Jane Austen's novels, but Emma is so wonderfully delightful and funny that I can't help thinking it really might be my favorite. And on top of that, I can say definitively that Mr. Knightley is my favorite Austen man. And that's the truth. 

In Emma, we meet our happily single heroine who has absolutely no inducement to marry herself but enjoys playing matchmaker among the less fortunate mortals who must succumb to that blessed institution. Through scrape after scrape, Emma slowly realizes that she is not well suited to wield Cupid's bow, and SPOILER, she ultimately gives up the title of Matchmaker for that of Bride. 

The thing I love so much about Jane Austen's writing is that all her characters are so perfectly human. We all have a know-it-all Mrs. Elton or a never-stops-talking Miss Bates in our lives. We love our indulgent Mrs. Westons and are flattered by our charming Mr. Churchills but would be lost without our truth-telling Mr. Knightleys. We all know a worthy and respectable Miss Fairfax that we should probably be better friends with but secretly don't like, and prefer to spend our time with the adoring Miss Harriet Smiths of the world. And we all, at some point or other, end up sticking the proverbial foot into mouth and have to then choke down a slice of humble pie to correct our unfortunate blunder like our silly but well-meaning friend Emma. 

In my last Austen recap, I said that Pride and Prejudice is probably the best place to start for Austen newbies. Emma is an excellent followup, and I would highly recommend it. And for you sacrilegious movie-preferrers out there, I will vouch for the adaptation starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam. I actually love it. 

Has anyone seen the BBC miniseries starring Romola Garai? I know Austen-lovers generally prefer BBC adaptations, but you know how I feel about them. Have you ever read Emma? It seems to be either the favorite or the least favorite with most Austen fans I've talked to. Seemingly no middle ground with this one. I can't imagine not loving it, but those people do exist in the world. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I think I've read 5 books off list and 5 books on. Eesh. I need to finish one from the list this month to stay on track. Making good progress with John Adams, though.

    I watched the BBC miniseries of Emma once, but it's been a couple years. My sister thought that Mr. Knightley (star of Elementary) looks like our brother Jeff. I favor the Gwyneth Paltrow version, although when I read the book, certain plot elements made more sense because I could tell how much they left out. I read Emma once, but it was a little bit of a struggle for me - senior year of college and all that. I think I ended up reading it in two parts a few months apart. It's probably time to try it again. I liked it, but not my favorite Austen, though I do love Mr. Knightley. I think it felt too long compared to Pride and Prejudice. Mansfield Park might be my least favorite book and movie. Northanger Abbey is underrated in my opinion, but I've never seen a movie version (only Wishbone, lol). I'd have to read them all again and re-rank, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I can finish The Three Musketeers this month. I've finally hit my stride with that book--hopefully. Haha! That will get me back on track with my book list.

      I haven't read Mansfield Park in years. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely time for a re-read. Poor Fanny--she gets a bad rep. I haven't seen movies for Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, or Lady Susan. I'd be interested in your ranking after a fresh read. I can never pick favorites with Jane. :)

      Delete
    2. Wishbone! I loved that show. But I haven't seen it in such a long time. It seems like a lifetime ago. Haha. Thanks for the memory, Jen.

      Delete
  2. I completely understand your favorite Jane Austen novel quandary. Every time that I read either Pride and Prejudice, Emma, or Persuasion, I say that that one is my favorite. Also, Mr.Knightly is the best Austen man, and Jeremy Northam plays him better than anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I'm glad to hear Jeremy Northam is the best Mr. Knightley. I've always loved his portrayal (minus that ridiculous straw hat in the Box Hill scene). Maybe I'll just stick with the Paltrow adaptation and be done with it.

      Delete